GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Desperate Need For A Smoke Machine In The East Coast, Canada Wildfires Don't Suffice Anymore

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
I've always found that around 120-140k miles is when it's time to let my cars go. They're usually due for timing belt or chain work, suspension work, fuel system stuff, etc. on top of the normal maintenance and it really doesn't change the trade in value if you do it all. Yes it's less to do it and keep it, but for how long? I don't like the idea of putting $5k of maintenance work into a car that will still be worth $5k (ok $10k in today's market) when I'm done.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
My GTI is at 82k and this RAV4 is at 103k. Lately the high mileage stuff has just been piling up. I wish we could get into something newer but car prices and interest rates are still ridiculous -- for new and used.
82k and 103k is tip of iceberg... just wait another 70k miles brah... oh ur in FL where cars dont rust... what are you complaining about?
Edit: not tryna sound like a dick, but I'd kill for an FL car.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I've always found that around 120-140k miles is when it's time to let my cars go. They're usually due for timing belt or chain work, suspension work, fuel system stuff, etc. on top of the normal maintenance and it really doesn't change the trade in value if you do it all. Yes it's less to do it and keep it, but for how long? I don't like the idea of putting $5k of maintenance work into a car that will still be worth $5k (ok $10k in today's market) when I'm done.

Makes more sense if you DIY a lot of the stuff.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Makes more sense if you DIY a lot of the stuff.
This all day. Using stock replacement parts it's even easier. A complete spring & strut from Rockauto is under $100. I think end links are like $40 for Moog, so you don't have to deal with allen keys? I'm hopeful to keep our cars well into the 200k mile range, the other thing is that knowing most of the history on a car is worth it's weight in gold to me. I considered selling the Mazda (2010 bought at ~46k, had ~120k at the time) to buy a beater to toy around with, but realized that my goals -- a little ugly but mechanically sound, not awful to buy parts for, and somewhat fun to drive -- were already sitting in my driveway. I now have 144k on it and no complaints, it really doesn't ask for a whole lot. And 2.5s are available for daaaaaaaaaays, IIRC when my buddy bought one a couple years back it was $600 used and we swapped it in over a weekend. Parts are fairly plentiful, and honestly the only concern I have is rust, but otherwise it's been a solid car.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Whispering used Mk5.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
wow Acadia still isn't back from getting smokes! His last activity was Jan-11, 12 days ago! IIRC he is like me and hasn't missed a day of posting atleast something somewhere in years

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
And yet no word on why he's still not back from the grocery store :unsure:

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
If you wanna chat with him, hop on 'cord... it's better for socializing anyways.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
He's been quiet since his insemination.