GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
Add a BBK, lightweight wheels and shed some weight to counter

😂
That's true, you could remove the headlights and a lot of the plastic bracing to probably shed 20lbs, lol

Ha ha!🤣🤣
Been running an awesome BBK that's claimed to shed 40 lbs of unsprung weight and some aftermarket rims. lol

Thanks for the all the suggestions! lol

You guys are funny af or just ignorant! lol
Need to wait a little while on that wing. 💸💸

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Cause $$$$$$$....I've seen a couple sets on FB marketplace around me.....Rays are so nice but SO expensive
True that - but was justifiable to me after spending $1500 on a set of Rotiforms, then replacing one or two at a time due to shitty roads and well, cast-wheels and non-JWL rated. They bend, a LOT. Road construction? BAM/replace, pothole deeper than 5mm? Bam/replace, freeway expansion joint? Bam/replace. After replacing I think the 5th or 6th one I said screw it and initially bought the BBS's, which were great, then, seeking even lighter wheels, got the Gram lights. Those that think 4lbs a wheel doesnt make a car handle different are HIGH.... !!! Totally worth the price and so what if people judge?, I'm picky af and will do wheels, brakes, or whatever numerous times while seeking to get my car to be a certain way.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
True that - but was justifiable to me after spending $1500 on a set of Rotiforms, then replacing one or two at a time due to shitty roads and well, cast-wheels and non-JWL rated. They bend, a LOT. Road construction? BAM/replace, pothole deeper than 5mm? Bam/replace, freeway expansion joint? Bam/replace. After replacing I think the 5th or 6th one I said screw it and initially bought the BBS's, which were great, then, seeking even lighter wheels, got the Gram lights. Those that think 4lbs a wheel doesnt make a car handle different are HIGH.... !!! Totally worth the price and so what if people judge?, I'm picky af and will do wheels, brakes, or whatever numerous times while seeking to get my car to be a certain way.
If I ever change wheels again….gram lights are where it’s at

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I used a couple of bolts from Lowe’s to replace the studs on the intake when I did a valve cleaning. I finally took the time to put the proper bolts on, they’ve only been sitting on my toolbox for 6 months lol.

Also noticed the thread in one of the coil packs was all but stripped yesterday so I put a helicoil in it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Ha ha!🤣🤣
Been running an awesome BBK that's claimed to shed 40 lbs of unsprung weight and some aftermarket rims. lol

Thanks for the all the suggestions! lol

You guys are funny af or just ignorant! lol
Need to wait a little while on that wing. 💸💸
Not ignorant, lol. I say some things in jest, but nothing i said was off. A lot of grassroots guys run marine plywood splitters because they break so much, and they weigh roughly 25lbs in that kind of sizing, plus 3lbs or so for proper chassis mounting. The nose of a front engine car is one of the most valuable places to save weight, which is why a lot of guys pull the headlights and just run covers or blanks.

I made a carbon splitter for my racecar that runs to the axle and has 4 chassis mount points. Total weight is just under 20lbs, but it's massive and dumps 2 10" wide diffusers entirely into the wheel wells. NASA TT3 legal, but juuuust barely.

Brakes are all about mass, so if you shed 40lbs there, hopefully it was all in the right place and not some wildwood garbage that will leave you brakeless after some use 😅🤣. Be safe out there! Splitter looks nice!

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
Have you looked at the RX7 V mount conversions? The one on that yellow car is very similar to my cousins' set up, but he placed the condenser at the bottom edge of the radiator. Don't know if it would bring any benefit by doing so. I don't know if the Golf has the same amount of real estate as the RX7... He had 2 fans underneath and a stainless expanded metal mesh to prevent any debris from hitting the fans or the bottom of the radiator. He also had the same mesh on the bumper opening as it was a street car to protect the condenser and intercooler.

https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/calling-out-all-v-mount-owners-1003629/

View attachment 299281

Back then everything was custom, they have a few kits now. For reference...

https://www.rotary-works.com/RW-KIT-FC-VM

not yet I'm seeing how the factory composite lock carrier holds up first 'I don't want the pins to rip out'

I've tried to see if the condenser can some how mount behind the radiator in the TCR air duct, but not worried atm since the main goal was the aero and chassis which I have the dampers already, the splitter is another worry even with planks underneath

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
not yet I'm seeing how the factory composite lock carrier holds up first 'I don't want the pins to rip out'

I can tell you that the carrier is utter garbage. I hit a small animal at around 40 mph, the radiator outlet ripped apart, the intercooler developed a small leak, and the condenser bent just a little. The carrier shattered like glass on that corner. I didn't take pictures when went to see the car at the body shop when they were going over the damages. But here is the car right after the accident.

1707827843011.png

1707827895571.png

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
my bad!

@blaqsheep

How'd the rest of the plugs look?
$20 and I'll show you :whistle: Rest of them weren't as bad but I will mention that even torquing at 30 nm, #2 came out fairly easily.

Who on here is the one who makes the coil grounding kit?

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
Not ignorant, lol. I say some things in jest, but nothing i said was off.....
Brakes are all about mass, so if you shed 40lbs there, hopefully it was all in the right place and not some wildwood garbage that will leave you brakeless after some use 😅🤣. Be safe out there! Splitter looks nice!
Yeah, I hear ya. That splitter is a bit of overkill, but it was on sale. lol
Slowly getting some things together...you savvy track pros have all the car action figured out. So coming from 2 wheels to 4, I'm liable to miss a few things out the gate. I'll hope not to amuse y'all too much lol
Trying to straddle that fence between track and occasional street duty. Don't want to half-ass it too badly. lol

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I hear ya. That splitter is a bit of overkill, but it was on sale. lol
Slowly getting some things together...you savvy track pros have all the car action figured out. So coming from 2 wheels to 4, I'm liable to miss a few things out the gate. I'll hope not to amuse y'all too much lol
Trying to straddle that fence between track and occasional street duty. Don't want to half-ass it too badly. lol
It's an incredibly tough line to straddle!!

A car that can do race car things on a track and street things on a street is the toughest benchmark to hit. Theres a reason Porsche cost as much as they do.

Splitters are worth it. They can do a lot! Read from these guys, they know what they're doing: https://www.professionalawesome.com/diy-downforce/