GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Forum Boomers Attempt To Decipher Gen Z Mad Libs

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Going to discount tire was your first mistake. Going there 4 times expecting different results is forum comedy

A+
Lowest price for tires, and free balances. Why wouldn’t I? I can work from the lobby and it’s right down the street. Seems silly to pay someone $50+ when usually asking them to do it again on a different machine works. No skin off my back. That being said, #4 is the last try.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Find a tech at a high end dealer like Porsche who will do it on the side or an indy who cares. I use an offroad shop or a guy with access to good tools @ a shop to do it on the side.
The challenge is finding a place with road force equipment. Surprisingly not common.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Y’all are throwing away money if you’re going to an Indy shop for tires 😂

Discount gets it right most of the time. Worth it.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Y’all are throwing away money if you’re going to an Indy shop for tires 😂
OR giving money to independent operations because fuck chains 🤙 though I take my stuff to a guy who works at a dealer and just does side gigs on the weekend for some beer money, because he's a good dude and I can trust him to treat my cars the way I would (or better, in most cases)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
dumb question, but someone ELI5 how road force balancing works vs 'normal' balancing. Like, I understand (conceptually) bubble balancers and how that works, but I haven't got a clue how road force balancing works.
It actually applies force to the tire via a roller to simulate the tire rolling on the ground. A tire can balance perfectly on a spin balancer but still have uneven force on the road causing vibrations. The machine allows the tech to (ideally) counteract or pinpoint any runout or forces.

Usually results in a better ride.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
OR giving money to independent operations because fuck chains 🤙 though I take my stuff to a guy who works at a dealer and just does side gigs on the weekend for some beer money, because he's a good dude and I can trust him to treat my cars the way I would (or better, in most cases)
I just support people and business who do the right thing. Discount has always done the right thing. I don’t blame the company for inexperienced or lazy techs and they’re usually very good if I insist they get the road force under 10 lbs. And when I’ve been unhappy with tires, they’ve always taken them back. They’ve always squeezed me in at a moment’s notice if I’m unhappy with the ride.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I couldn't take my car to a franchise. No way that's happening.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
I couldn't take my car to a franchise. No way that's happening.
Why not? Franchising usually means a local business owner who bought a franchise license to operate that location, unless it’s a company that allows non-local owners. Discount isn’t even a franchise tho. Corporately owned.

That being said, I don’t know why people insist on shunning business that become successful. Discount started as one location and grew 🤷‍♂️

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Lowest price for tires, and free balances. Why wouldn’t I?

It seems the answer would be because they can't properly balance your tires?

Tires, sure. Find whatever place has the tires you want for the cheapest.