GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 Sport with DSG flywheel chatter/chirps :( Anyone else?

c3rolling

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 7k miles on the odometer and over the course of the past 2k miles, my car is exhibiting what appears to be flywheel chatter. It intermittently happens when I'm slowing to a stop, very slow parking lot speeds, or driving in reverse. I'm pretty sure that its the flywheel as the chatter is distinct and its coming from the foot well area. I've tried the DSG adaptation with no luck and nothing is loose. I had the typical clunks/pops from the DSG since new and was wondering if this chatter developing recently is normal? I also have a very small seeping of oil from the rear main seal but I'm not sure if that would contribute to noise. Should I be worried? Car is tuned w/ bolt ons so not looking forward to dealer visits lol, Thanks.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Take off the bolt-ons and head to your dealer. Or pull out the tranny and replace the DMF at your cost. Dealer is the only way to get it fixed for free. First they will need to verify the noise, so any mod that makes extra noise will cause them to return the car to you.

Edit: That is worst case scenario, honestly it's probably fine. Now if it gets really noisy, then you may have an issue.

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Is there any potential for long term issues? Mine may have been doing this since about 2k but it's so quiet no one else can notice it. Also at about 8k now.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
DSGs make noise, I would have them take a listen, drive a car on the lot and compare. If the noises are the same don't worry about it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Mine chatters a bit when coming to a stop while auto downshifting at low RPM. Also mild throttle in 5th/6th gear at 1200rpm (why the hell its programmed to allow that who knows). Took it to the dealer and they said they test drove two new ones on the lot and they both made the same noise at 1.2k with throttle. I just got a DSG tune so I am never below 1600rpm any more lol.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I've said this for awhile now, the DSGs are way noisier than the manuals.

They chatter quite a bit and the diff makes a decent amount of noise too.

RMS on every car ever leaks a little bit, but if you notice it from underneath the car it is probably leaking more than an acceptable amount.

The reason why RMS leak so often is the crank moves in and out a smidge as torque is made and resistance is added from gear changes. If you had a weak RMS to begin with, adding a tune will definitely exacerbate it. If your RMS is leaking enough to affect the transmission and flywheel you're looking at big boi dollars to replace.

With that being said, the DSG has some chatter to it, hence why it uses a DMF just like the manuals. Overall it is a bit noisier than a manual. Also the VAQ makes some noise too.

MadMen

Ready to race!
You aren't using a dogbone mount insert are you? If so, try removing that and see if it feels any different.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Is there any potential for long term issues? Mine may have been doing this since about 2k but it's so quiet no one else can notice it. Also at about 8k now.

Like others have said, depending how bad it is, it could totally be normal. Really bad chattering happens when the DMF has failed. You also get some additional strange bumps in the drivetrain and minor hesitation. I've only felt it once on an A3 with about 80k. You could rotate the DMF assembly freely.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I've felt that chatter too. Most notably in 2nd gear coming out of neutral and when stoping. It's annoying but I'm waiting to see if it gets louder (knock on wood it doesn't) before taking it in. I'll probably mention it when I get my oil changed in a few months.

c3rolling

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine chatters a bit when coming to a stop while auto downshifting at low RPM. Also mild throttle in 5th/6th gear at 1200rpm (why the hell its programmed to allow that who knows). Took it to the dealer and they said they test drove two new ones on the lot and they both made the same noise at 1.2k with throttle. I just got a DSG tune so I am never below 1600rpm any more lol.

Mine makes the noise at very low rpm also but never in mid throttle. Its always when im braking to a stop or at very low creeping speeds where I'm not applying gas.

I've said this for awhile now, the DSGs are way noisier than the manuals.

They chatter quite a bit and the diff makes a decent amount of noise too.

RMS on every car ever leaks a little bit, but if you notice it from underneath the car it is probably leaking more than an acceptable amount.

The reason why RMS leak so often is the crank moves in and out a smidge as torque is made and resistance is added from gear changes. If you had a weak RMS to begin with, adding a tune will definitely exacerbate it. If your RMS is leaking enough to affect the transmission and flywheel you're looking at big boi dollars to replace.

With that being said, the DSG has some chatter to it, hence why it uses a DMF just like the manuals. Overall it is a bit noisier than a manual. Also the VAQ makes some noise too.

The leak is just a tiny coat of oil, never drips. It's been like that since new but it comes back after a wipe down. How would an RMS leak affect a transmission? Thank you for the help.

You aren't using a dogbone mount insert are you? If so, try removing that and see if it feels any different.

Yes I am. I tried removing it but it was just as bad if not worse. I put it back on, car feels so much better with it lol.

Like others have said, depending how bad it is, it could totally be normal. Really bad chattering happens when the DMF has failed. You also get some additional strange bumps in the drivetrain and minor hesitation. I've only felt it once on an A3 with about 80k. You could rotate the DMF assembly freely.

This is my first DSG car as I've only owned manuals in the past so not really sure if its normal or not. I've asked some friends with a mk6/mk7 and they don't seem to have the chatter. The only thing that concerns me is that it never did it when it was new. Hopefully it doesnt get worse.....

I've felt that chatter too. Most notably in 2nd gear coming out of neutral and when stoping. It's annoying but I'm waiting to see if it gets louder (knock on wood it doesn't) before taking it in. I'll probably mention it when I get my oil changed in a few months.

I found a couple posts about the chatter and it seems that most of the owners had a 2017...

Last edited:

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI

That noise on light throttle in 5th to 6th, if it is a grinding noise is the engine lugging. The stock TCU rushes to 5th and 6th for economy but lugs the engine. The dealer even recommended me to get APR TCU

c3rolling

Passed Driver's Ed

So you dont get any chatter now? Which DSG tune did you go with?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
So you dont get any chatter now? Which DSG tune did you go with?

It still makes quiet chatter when rolling to a stop in D. Maybe the 5th/6th sound was lugging instead of chatter like Rafiki76 said.

ED TCU tune.

Arronleeds

Passed Driver's Ed
Any updates on this? My car is doing the same, 2019 only on 40,000 miles, coming to a stop as soon as it goes into first gear I get the chatter.