GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ESP?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
johnny12345 said:
I understand the ESP's function and if your gonna crash its not gonna make your car lift off the ground and fly away to safety, it can only do so much. In a sense it kinda takes the thrill out of really driving when the car is not letting itself be pushed to the limits.

If you want to drive your car off a cliff, no shit it's not going to help you out... :bonk:

It's designed to keep the car in control during unexpected events like emergency lane change manuevers on wet highways or like the incident MHS216 described... It works with the BFD and EBA to keep the car in control in situations where it would otherwise spin out

Don't like it, turn it off... And be thankful that you can... :thumbsup:

If you understand the ESP's function, then what's the point of this thread??

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
i just read this artical some place on the net the other night...that even if u turn the ESP off and u get into some real bad trouble the car will automaticly turn the ESP back on and save your ass for ya

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
i believe on a fast outback road with twisty turns i like it on. If your gonna race at the track or Drag race, turn it off. There is no ditches at the track!! Or trees. Or poles.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Freek said:
i just read this artical some place on the net the other night...that even if u turn the ESP off and u get into some real bad trouble the car will automaticly turn the ESP back on and save your ass for ya
hhmm... wanna test that theory for us :biggrin: :tongue:

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Freek said:
i was thinking about asking someone on here the same question...hehe :bellyroll:
hhmmmm lol, im actually thinking, what if i just take her into and empty parking lot, shut it off and try something. I would say a gravel lot, but that poses some hazards of scratches.....

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
When the blinking ESP squigly tires light comes ON that means the ESP is kicking in right? If that's the case then I get that shit all the time after my APR tune - up.

yea but is that with the ESP off?

cuz i get the same blinking light as im sure the rest of us do when u punch it and the tires start to break loose

as for attempting to find out if it kicks in even with it off....well what someone could do is...next time it really really rains by them take it to a BIG open parking lot and hit a puddle and see if it kicks in or hang a real sharp corner in the parkinglot and see what happens

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
yes when little light comes on and then goes off in a sec or so that means it was activated and used, when u hit the ESP botton to turn it off that light will stay on...maybe it should of been 2 diffrent lights one that is lk the little lighti now and another one that says ESP OFF for clarafication....

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Freek said:

cuz i get the same blinking light as im sure the rest of us do when u punch it and the tires start to break loose

as for attempting to find out if it kicks in even with it off....well what someone could do is...next time it really really rains by them take it to a BIG open parking lot and hit a puddle and see if it kicks in or hang a real sharp corner in the parkinglot and see what happens
ive acxtually had it off in the rain, i ahd a reason, and i'm almost positive it didnt kick in. I know on the Infinitis when it's off, that measn it's off. I feel like VW is the same... there are only a FEW cars that wont let you turn ESP 100% off, Lexus being one of them.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
im looking for the artical i read it from lastnight....i jsut cant find the damn thing now...its pissin me off

it came from a UK car mag i think...i found the link on google

EDIT: wasnt able to find it again...i looked through 30 pages of google

Last edited:

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
I still don't see how you guys can get in so much trouble that you can't handle a 15 second car. :burnrubber:

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
trevor said:
I still don't see how you guys can get in so much trouble that you can't handle a 15 second car. :burnrubber:

thats a pretty dumb statement...just cuz a car only does 15's in the 1/4 mile doesnt mean the car cant get into the same amount of trouble a 12 sec car can

ill leave my comments at that...

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
Freek said:
thats a pretty dumb statement...just cuz a car only does 15's in the 1/4 mile doesnt mean the car cant get into the same amount of trouble a 12 sec car can

ill leave my comments at that...

except that you'll get into trouble 3 seconds earlier. :biggrin:

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Freek said:

no that is with ESP on, I've never turned it off yet but am interested to see the difference in stability.