GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

digital slr for xmas, what to get?

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
ya im about to either buy the sigma 10-20 or the 12-24. or if i decide to not mod my car and grow the balls then ill get the nikkor 17-55 2.8 DX...i just cant decide though.

I know you hate him :tongue: But Ken did a really great comparison test of the Nikon 12-24mm f/4, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and Tamron 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6. From which I based most of my purchase decision of the Tokina on. If you haven't read it and are interested you can find it here...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison-index.htm

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
my mom is the one buying the camera. i told her XTi is my prefered choice of camera. ive used canon film cameras and love. got a zr45 and a gl-2. both are great cameras for what i use them for.

Cool man. I am sure you will be pleased. I bet you are excited too. Good luck with it. Make sure you post up some pics!

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
oh you will definately see some pics of whatever i get. itll be used quite a bit

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
I know you hate him :tongue: But Ken did a really great comparison test of the Nikon 12-24mm f/4, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and Tamron 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6. From which I based most of my purchase decision of the Tokina on. If you haven't read it and are interested you can find it here...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison-index.htm

not gonna lie, thats one of the better reviews ive read from him. but he just make my decision that much harder...ahhh

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
ok, well heres an update.

i talked to my mom last night. she ended up putting in an order with fotoconnection even though i warned her not to. they called her trying to sell her a battery and warranties but she just told them to send what she ordered. they said they would but we will see what happens.

the good news is... looks like i'll be getting the EOS 400D rebel XTi:thumbup:

crabpot

Awesomesauce
Nice, hopefully it goes smoothly with fotoconnection.

I just got my D80 for my bday a couple days ago, so I'm pretty excited about that.

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
ok, well heres an update.

i talked to my mom last night. she ended up putting in an order with fotoconnection even though i warned her not to. they called her trying to sell her a battery and warranties but she just told them to send what she ordered. they said they would but we will see what happens.

the good news is... looks like i'll be getting the EOS 400D rebel XTi:thumbup:

Cool. Hopefuly you get it without a hitch. Usually they will say it is on backorder or something when you don't give in to thier sales tactics. Did she get tracking information?

pbfoot

Ready to race!
After a lot of research into the same price range as you I decided to go with a D40. I got it for $455 with a kit lens at best buy. I was shooting a Canon S3IS before which was more or less the most adjustable P/S available but it simply wasn't cutting it, plus it went and broke on me. The XTi was about $100-$150 more than the D40 and it only came in silver (i didn't like the silver) so the choice was a no-brainer. with a 2 gig SD card the total came out to $510 or so with tax (7% here in PA). I'm excited to get it on xmas.

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
That a good price...D40's at best buy here are like 550. Is that with the 18-55mm? Just remember AF-S lenses only.

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
lol, AND another update. she decided to cancel the order and cancel her card just incase they did try to scam her. HOWEVER, i talked her into getting the same camera (canon eos 400D rebel XTi) with the 18-55mm lens. just that will be good enough for me.

i am also in the process of saving up for a wide angle lens. i am on a budget but im looking for suggestions.

omegach

Banned
The XTi was about $100-$150 more than the D40 and it only came in silver (i didn't like the silver) so the choice was a no-brainer.
x2

i dunno why, but i really love the black bodies of Nikons... i can't imagine shooting w/ a silver-colored DSLR

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
x2

i dunno why, but i really love the black bodies of Nikons... i can't imagine shooting w/ a silver-colored DSLR

im getting a black body XTi

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
lol, AND another update. she decided to cancel the order and cancel her card just incase they did try to scam her. HOWEVER, i talked her into getting the same camera (canon eos 400D rebel XTi) with the 18-55mm lens. just that will be good enough for me.

i am also in the process of saving up for a wide angle lens. i am on a budget but im looking for suggestions.

dx format wide angles are pricey...you're looking at at leat 400 for an OK one...USED.