GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is38 replica on mk7

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Basically $500 shipped and a 3 week shipping time. As some one else mentioned I would definitely be a Guinea pig for this on a track car or a beater, but mine is a daily driver so a pass for me.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
what worst case, would a bad turbo blowup your engine, i dont know, someone explain. I would do this on my daily, some sheep have to be sacrificed to the gods for the greater good

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
what worst case, would a bad turbo blowup your engine, i dont know, someone explain. I would do this on my daily, some sheep have to be sacrificed to the gods for the greater good
Wastegate sticking closed is usually considered a bad thing

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Here's one example of a blown turbo damaging the engine.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yes, a failed turbo can potentially take the engine with it. I paid $18k for my car (still paying technically), if I'm going to upgrade a major component in the functionality of the car, I'm not going to try and save $500 by skimping on the turbo. Just not worth it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, a failed turbo can potentially take the engine with it. I paid $18k for my car (still paying technically), if I'm going to upgrade a major component in the functionality of the car, I'm not going to try and save $500 by skimping on the turbo. Just not worth it.

Smart man.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How much can the fcp is38 put down? Is it worth it to pay extra for litco or eqt, 1000 with a lifetime warranty is nice

If the FCP IS38 is an OEM IS38 you can expect around 375HP and 410 torque depending upon the tuner. The lifetime warranty is nice but I've yet to see a post where FCP warrantied a turbo. Not saying they haven't I just haven't seen evidence of it. One of the biggest things to consider with a turbo is the bearings. Below is a link to the turbo that I just got that is being installed on the 13th. Check what they do with the bearings and look at the dyno results also.

https://www.turbopartscanada.ca/products/mk7-golf-gti-golf-r

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
How much can the fcp is38 put down? Is it worth it to pay extra for litco or eqt, 1000 with a lifetime warranty is nice
It's just a bog standard Is38 with a warranty. Should ballpark about ~350hp on pump gas with supporting mods.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
If the FCP IS38 is an OEM IS38 you can expect around 375HP and 410 torque depending upon the tuner. The lifetime warranty is nice but I've yet to see a post where FCP warrantied a turbo. Not saying they haven't I just haven't seen evidence of it. One of the biggest things to consider with a turbo is the bearings. Below is a link to the turbo that I just got that is being installed on the 13th. Check what they do with the bearings and look at the dyno results also.

https://www.turbopartscanada.ca/products/mk7-golf-gti-golf-r
ok this is what im talking about. Very curious as how this is a is20 hybrid making 432hp on pump gas. Is it me or does that sound off? I mean sign me up, no fuel upgrades making great hp for our cars and no fuel upgrades with better response. It seems too good to be true. I feel like 4-500 is way more than enough on our cars. So is the caveat here you need to give them your IS20 turbo which they turn into this upgraded IS20 that puts out 430hp?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
ok this is what im talking about. Very curious as how this is a is20 hybrid making 432hp on pump gas. Is it me or does that sound off? I mean sign me up, no fuel upgrades making great hp for our cars and no fuel upgrades with better response. It seems too good to be true. I feel like 4-500 is way more than enough on our cars. So is the caveat here you need to give them your IS20 turbo which they turn into this upgraded IS20 that puts out 430hp?
standard eqt vortex is based on an is20 housing too, the xl is like a is38.

The part where they can make those numbers with stock fueling and 94 is the part that’s interesting but you can’t fully base things on dynos as they all read a lil different just like cars read a lil different.

I’m sure Jim is gonna be very happy with the upgrade, should make some more power/spool quicker and he’ll have better comfort knowing the internals and built to a higher standard and tolerances than a Oem (BIG TURBO :) ) is38 he has now.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
im going to go BT next year for this build, I would like to run enough to smoke anyone I come across (450 should be enough). But a true 450ish not a mustang dyno - 20%. I like how it seems the turbo upgrades are ever evolving, first it was is38, then hybrids, then more hybrids. I like the xl and getting bigger numbers but I wouldn't want a long spool, I feel like the spool now on is20 is slow

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Sending in your core is pretty common. I'll post my results in a few weeks. Although I want to stay around 400HP because of how I use my car.