GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Stack w/ APR

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The APR tune is for 87, but I run 93 anyways.

If you don't add the stack, I don't see the point in running 93. I spent a good couple of weeks doing dragy runs 87 vs 93 when I upgraded to the V2 87 file - it made zero difference and as mentioned my fastest run to date was with 87 in the tank. I did a bit of logging for knock (as far as I could work it out) with OBD11 and didn't detect any. Hence decided to save the 65-70c a gallon over 93.

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
If you don't add the stack, I don't see the point in running 93. I spent a good couple of weeks doing dragy runs 87 vs 93 when I upgraded to the V2 87 file - it made zero difference and as mentioned my fastest run to date was with 87 in the tank. I did a bit of logging for knock (as far as I could work it out) with OBD11 and didn't detect any. Hence decided to save the 65-70c a gallon over 93.
No concern for carbon build up versus the two?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

I've never been fully convinced by the 'extra cleaning additives in 93 gas' argument as it pertains to a DI injection engine. Craps going to build up on the back of those valves whatever you do. I guess there may be some very minor benefit - but I'd think that would be more than offset by other driving factors for some (i.e never opening the car up, short trips only etc).

Last edited:

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never been fully convinced by the 'extra additives in 93 gas' argument as it pertains to a DI injection engine. Craps going to build up on the back of those valves whatever you do. I guess there may be some very minor benefit - but I'd think that would be more than offset by other driving factors for some (i.e never opening the car up, short trips only etc).
True. At this point it may be a stretch to stack ontop of the Plus tune as upping the boost may be the only way to increase power which in turn causes more stress on turbos

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
all of it

scotty.JPG

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
If your tune is for 87, the 93 is actually "slowing" your ignition just a bit. The piggy back (even if you could) wouldn't do anything, as your original tune is 87 and torque is already programmed.
Furthermore, if you happen to enable a code over another you're not fooling what the ECU will be catching in order to save itself. Stick to 87 as that is all you require for the tune, anything more isn't increasing any value that relates to increased performance in the perameters that are programmed (stock or otherwise).
You don't really want to run more boost to make up for timing - you will just generate more heat & PR of the turbo + you will have to run richer w/o any benifit other than ensuring that the cylinders are being cooled.
Your vehicle, your choice - just food for thought.

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
If your tune is for 87, the 93 is actually "slowing" your ignition just a bit. The piggy back (even if you could) wouldn't do anything, as your original tune is 87 and torque is already programmed.
Furthermore, if you happen to enable a code over another you're not fooling what the ECU will be catching in order to save itself. Stick to 87 as that is all you require for the tune, anything more isn't increasing any value that relates to increased performance in the perameters that are programmed (stock or otherwise).
You don't really want to run more boost to make up for timing - you will just generate more heat & PR of the turbo + you will have to run richer w/o any benifit other than ensuring that the cylinders are being cooled.
Your vehicle, your choice - just food for thought.
Thanks for the thought! Think im gonna put this on the back burner.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
You are confusing Octane with Top Tier Fuel.
If you use Top Tier Fuel (Chevron, Mobil, 76 etc) and you are tuned for 87, then the QUALITY of the fuel (that contains more additives) is what is helping with a cleaner combustion.
For a DI injection vehicle, there will inevitably be carbon deposits. The quality of the oil, frequency in which you conduct OCI's, and pressure will determine just "how much" carbon is generated over any given period of time.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Thanks for the thought! Think im gonna put this on the back burner.
If perhaps you want MORE from your tune, you can always upgrade the IC. I am not implying you will get increased power from it, but you will benefit from MORE of it MORE consistantly w/o tuning for it.
I understand the costs (IC vs Tune) however, I just mention this as an option. Since you are in FL it would be quite beneficial?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Well the claim is that 93 has more additives than 91, 87, etc, even in the same gas station.... have read it countless times here. No evidence though....

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
If perhaps you want MORE from your tune, you can always upgrade the IC. I am not implying you will get increased power from it, but you will benefit from MORE of it MORE consistantly w/o tuning for it.
I understand the costs (IC vs Tune) however, I just mention this as an option. Since you are in FL it would be quite beneficial?
I havnt even really looked into an IC. Besides temp being stable I didn't think it added that much. I am a newb though!

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Well the claim is that 93 has more additives than 91, 87, etc, even in the same gas station.... have read it countless times here. No evidence though....

Yep....you can see that by the marketing. And it may be true...and it may be beneficial in an engine where you've got unburnt fuel washing over the valves. I've just never been convinced the residue which collects after its actually gone bang will be any less in a DI only engine.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

Totally agree - the only thing that is on my radar is an APR intercooler which I think I'll eventually get round to. Especially perhaps towards the end of my APR Plus warranty when I might just have to reflash to the APR high torque stage 1 for shits and grins. Although as much as I like hoofing it along in a straight line, I still view the GTI as primarily a very nicely balanced cornering car and have concerns the higher tunes could upset the balance a bit.