GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can I use a cob access port on a mk7 golf non gti 1.8t?

elliott_mk7tsi

Car(s)
2015 mk7 tsi 1.8t
I was thinking about tuning for my mk7 golf and I’m in between jb4 and an access port if I can get one for my car. Also on jb4 can you costom map? if so what all can you do for stage 2 with a downpipe and cold air intake?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No Cobb AP support for 1.8. Many do JB4 Custom Map 6. Tine to spend some time searching/reading here...all the info on the JB4 questions is here. Good luck!

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
It's one of the most/only disappointing things about the 1.8, so much potential for custom tuning but stuck with only JB4 and a few flash tunes with no remote custom tuning unfortunately despite almost identical engine to the 2.0... Edit: Clarified that without AP there is no remote custom tuning and of course a few companies can do it in person but only a handful in the country and many of us live nowhere near them.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's one of the most/only disappointing things about the 1.8, so much potential for custom tuning but stuck with only JB4 and a few flash tunes unfortunately despite almost identical engine to the 2.0...
United custom tunes our cars as does Reflect. EQT can do it as well using EcuTek

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
OK, I've heard of EcuTek, but don't know much about it, does it have full logging and simple email-able file support to go back and forth remotely with a tuner?
No idea.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Well, that was kind of my main point, of course a few places can custom tune in person and some have canned flashes available by cable like Reflect and of course APR and IE, UM etc but I think only Cobb has full logging for remote custom tuning. Sorry for any confusion and not to sound pretentious, it's just what I'm used after my last car had a Cobb AP, I'm only even realizing now that it also had support of JB4 and other companies canned tunes but since the AP just did so much nothing else really mattered and I miss that dammit! hehe

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well, that was kind of my main point, of course a few places can custom tune in person and some have canned flashes available by cable like Reflect and of course APR and IE, UM etc but I think only Cobb has full logging for remote custom tuning. Sorry for any confusion and not to sound pretentious, it's just what I'm used after my last car had a Cobb AP, I'm only even realizing now that it also had support of JB4 and other companies canned tunes but since the AP just did so much nothing else really mattered and I miss that dammit! hehe
Reflect does remote like you want (emails files/log). What is your setup/ what are you trying to do?

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Reflect does remote like you want (emails files/log). What is your setup/ what are you trying to do?
Well, I'm not trying to do anything myself right now, I was just replying to OP.... Personally, I'm installing a DP and IS20 soon but happy to just use my JB4 for that, and that's gonna be it tuning-wise for this car until I upgrade to an R or S3 later. I've invested too much in this one already to spend good money on real tuning that I'd only use for only a year or so... But OP should take note that Reflect does custom tuning remotely if that is what they were interested in an AP for.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well, I'm not trying to do anything myself right now, I was just replying to OP.... Personally, I'm installing a DP and IS20 soon but happy to just use my JB4 for that, and that's gonna be it tuning-wise for this car until I upgrade to an R or S3 later... But OP should take note that Reflect does custom tuning remotely if that is what they were interested in an AP for.
Honestly the OTS tunes available are great on this car with an IS20 and stock fuelling etc.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
ecutek has phone flashing and ability to share files with your tuner thru phone app now. Don't even need a PC which is kinda neat. Logging all done over phone app too.