GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing chain stretch measurements?

amsr

Ready to race!
My 2017 MK7 GTI SE has 115k on it. Recently it was in for service and the mechanic noted that the timing chain cover was starting to leak oil. They did a measurement in VCDS of the timing chain and the comment was "total of both phase actual values -4.4" and suggested I might consider doing the chain at the same time. Can anyone comment on that measurement? How close am I to needing replacement?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is the 1.8 so make sure to find the 2.0 as it's likely different. It's not a cheap repair...

Screenshot_20240103_221415_Facebook.jpg

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
This had me wanting to check my own shit. This is what I came up with. Car has 103K miles
Screenshot_20240104-101410.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The 1.8 doesn't have VVT on exhaust cam so my 47 isn't relevant. I seem to recall both numbers below 5 is ok.
That was gonna be my next question. Do I take the 1.5° at face value or do I combine the two and get 3° (which is still below the 5° mentioned above) 👍🏻

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That was gonna be my next question. Do I take the 1.5° at face value or do I combine the two and get 3° (which is still below the 5° mentioned above) 👍🏻
Honestly, no clue. Google/forum search is your friend here as I was able to find info when I was having these questions a while back. I believe it's individual. Just start a post and ask folks to post their values.

amsr

Ready to race!
Mine was stretched. They replaced it and also re-sealed the valve cover gasket which had started to leak into the spark plug holes. Cost for the repair was about 3500 from a local indy that works on European cars. As a bonus I got new spark plugs, oil change, and a coolant flush as part of the repair. Pretty expensive to fix these two things. But it’s the first engine repair I’ve had on this car with the exception of the water pump issue in 115,000 miles. So I guess that’s pretty good.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Mine was stretched. They replaced it and also re-sealed the valve cover gasket which had started to leak into the spark plug holes. Cost for the repair was about 3500 from a local indy that works on European cars. As a bonus I got new spark plugs, oil change, and a coolant flush as part of the repair. Pretty expensive to fix these two things. But it’s the first engine repair I’ve had on this car with the exception of the water pump issue in 115,000 miles. So I guess that’s pretty good.
Who was the indy shop that did the work? And did they go off of the phase cam or the hold to count the threads?

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Or for half the price get an alibaba engine brand new 😂

tmbzip

Ready to race!
I took a measurement as well after seeing this thread, made sure I had the right data values...seems like a lot of stretch for only 87,000 miles??

420720204_386405117303546_2049165376529165572_n.jpg