GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking break binding

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
If I leave my Golf e-Hybrid (2021) more than a few days on the drive, the breaks bind briefly as I back off the drive. Is there any way round this?

keith1200rs

Passed Driver's Ed
If I have put my golf in the garage wet, it makes quite a clunk when the brake comes off, particularly if it has been left a day or two. I guess you could turn off the brake manually rather than relying on the car doing.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
If I leave my Golf e-Hybrid (2021) more than a few days on the drive, the breaks bind briefly as I back off the drive. Is there any way round this?
I don't think there is any way around that. The UK is what is considered a 'saline atmosphere' due to being surrounded by salt water. The brakes are sticking because a small amount of corrosion develops when wet brakes are applied in the presence of an electrolyte solution (water, either mixed with road salt in the winter, or atmospheric salt from sea breezes in all seasons).

I recall that when I moderated the Phaeton forum on VWVortex from 2004 to 2014, we had quite a number of corrosion-related problems brought up by UK based forum members, but not a single corrosion problem was ever mentioned by North American or continental Europe members.

Michael

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for that. I am a concerned that the breaks may be damaged when this situation occurs. Should I be worried?

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
Thank you for that. I am a concerned that the breaks may be damaged when this situation occurs. Should I be worried?
No, there is no need to be concerned. This issue of "sticky brakes" is common worldwide, especially if you are proximate to an ocean.

In my career as an aircraft pilot, I encountered the very same problem if aircraft parking brakes had been left on overnight - it would require a bit of power to break away the next day.

Don't worry about it!