GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Normal amount of rear wheel play?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Both sides show this same level of side-to-side play or flex. Looks like bushing flex. A local shop took a look and said there's no play. Is there an issue here or no? Obviously some of this is the tire flexing, but you can see the wheel and suspension parts moving too. There's no flex or play when I try to wiggle the wheel from the top and bottom. Only at 9 and 3.
Outside view:

A couple views from the inside in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U32NV1PYlkw

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
It is hard to say if the play is normal because one cannot determine how much force you are putting on the tire. How many miles does the car have and has the car had any suspension work or damage? I can say my 2017 GTI does not have that kind of play when checking for wheel bearing play. I hold it on the top and bottom of the tire also.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It is hard to say if the play is normal because one cannot determine how much force you are putting on the tire. How many miles does the car have and has the car had any suspension work or damage? I can say my 2017 GTI does not have that kind of play when checking for wheel bearing play. I hold it on the top and bottom of the tire also.
I’m holding the wheel at 9 and 3. I’m using “middle strength” I guess? Not enough to risk shaking the car on jack stands.

81k miles. No suspension work on the bushings. Just shocks, mounts, sway bar, end links. Rear bearings are brand new.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I would suggest that you get someone to help and have them move the tire side to side and back and forth while you look at each suspension bushing, appears one or more is bad.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So yeah, bushings are flexing, but I can’t tell the root issue. Nothing is obviously loose or torn or cracked or otherwise damaged that I can see. And both sides flex the same.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
So yeah, bushings are flexing, but I can’t tell the root issue. Nothing is obviously loose or torn or cracked or otherwise damaged that I can see. And both sides flex the same.
If that is the case, then I would continue to drive the car but keep a watch on the bushings. Look at/check them every oil change.