GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing chain stretch measurements?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I took a measurement as well after seeing this thread, made sure I had the right data values...seems like a lot of stretch for only 87,000 miles??

View attachment 298073
I'm not sure how true it is but apparently, you're supposed to look at the intake phase and not the exhaust. The intake and exhaust cams are on the same chain so in theory you should/would see the same sort of problem from both if it was stretched?

amsr

Ready to race!
It was done at Arbormotion in Ann Arbor. I’ve used them before. They do good work. Cost was comparable to the dealer. The repair was delayed because of parts availability.

In any case, the car runs great now. The only lingering issue is I now get a bit of a oil smell through the vents that wasn’t there before the repair. I guess I’ll see if it burns off and if not have them double check the new seals.

I wonder if I should have the PCV replaced? I have read that a failing PCV can manifest as oil leaks elsewhere on the engine. Since I just had two fixed at significant expense I am suspicious. Would this throw a code? AFAIK my PCV is ok, but it’s original.