GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I traded my '21 Mazda 3 Turbo for a '19 SE

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Welcome back for sure.

The car reviews back in day loved Mazda and maybe still do. The Protege 5 we had was extremely reliable but there was not a body panel or piece of metal on it that did not rust or bumble rust... it was rusting in 4 years worst than cars from the 1970s ..
I would never buy a Mazda in this life again... sad because the Miatas are nice.

Eh, I wouldn’t write off the brand completely because of one bad experience. It’s been well documented that the Ford era Mazdas were prone to rust. I haven’t seen that issue crop up in any of the Kodo design vehicles.

My other vehicle is an ND Miata that I adore.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Nice write up. I know what you mean about crappy Mazda brakes. Switching to a GTI is night and day.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
My last car was a 2015 Mazda6, great car inside and out, nice brakes and handling, only negative was it had no power. Shiny too

20151021_123510.jpg
20170907_113106.jpg

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
The first gen Madza Speed3s were respected. They were some what a sleeper model during my time in the SRT4 worlds. I believe it was the SRT4, Madza Speed3 and Mini Cooper S around that time that all had pretty wild stock numbers for FWD cars. Like 0-60 in low 5s and a 13.7 quarter mile, all bone stock. The problem was, they didn't take add-ons to increasing power as well as an Srt4 did so most people didn't go too crazy with throwing on power but they had good numbers stock.

People complained that the subsequent generation Speed3s that followed had their power curves tweaked to the point where they didn't feel as peppy as the first gen. I'm not sure since I never had either but it was word on the forums.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I like your more detailed diagnosis of why you can't drive manual anymore but so many times I read people saying they can't drive manual because of knees problems, etc. etc. and I'm like, wtf? Can you walk even? Just what exactly are you doing that you can't travel your leg a few inches in a car? It's crazy when I hear that stuff. I even developed actual knee problems from bad lifting habits at the gym. I have trouble just going up stairs but it gives me no issues driving manual. Never understood that.

EDIT - Oh, btw, congrats on the trade.
I don’t think it’s driving a manual as much as driving in city traffic. It’s one thing to get on a highway and set your foot to the left and stretch a little. It’s another to keep on the clutch in and out for a while trying to get through stop and go and such.

I have a DSG and when I drive a manual I dread it in city traffic.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'm glad I found this thread again. I actually have been looking at possibly replacing my '15 GTI and put the 4th gen Mazda 3 was on my list of considerations. I really loved my 1st gen 3 and 3rd gen 3. But what I found on a test drive was that Mazda basically ruined most of the things I loved about the 3rd gen. I agree with your take. They made the steering too slow yet over-weighted, the brakes are far too weak, the interior is somehow worse, the cupholders are in a terrible spot, the powerband is like a diesel, their mushy auto is terrible with the turbo, and wtf torsion bar in the rear. The 3rd gen had a great multi-link setup and felt so lively. This new one feels...boring. And you can definitely tell you have a bar in the back when you hit any bumps during a turn. I'm flabbergasted at Mazda's decisions, but I guess it's working for them for sales.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Did your 1st and 3rd gen Mazda 3 have any rust? We were burned my early 2000s Mazda Protege having so much rust I swore off the brand.
Pity what you said about the Gen4.. I know the Ford Fiesta STs are torsion bar and handle really well.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Did your 1st and 3rd gen Mazda 3 have any rust? We were burned my early 2000s Mazda Protege having so much rust I swore off the brand.
Pity what you said about the Gen4.. I know the Ford Fiesta STs are torsion bar and handle really well.
I have a 2nd gen and love it, but there's definitely some minor rust forming. Not nearly as bad as some of the first gens I've seen, but definitely some present. My wife has a 3rd gen and it's far less heavily driven, but so far it seems to be holding up alright.

I think the 3rd gen are the sweet spot, she autocrosses (STS) it and it's also the car we tend to take for longer trips where we want a degree of comfort. The car's a ton of fun and has grip for days, is sporty enough to be entertaining in an autocross environment, and looks great. I'm highly skeptical of the 4th gen, but if it's any indicator at all we're planning on picking up a gently used 21-23 2.5 CX5 soon, because we've both been pleased with our Mazdas thusfar.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Florida car so no rust issues

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have a 2nd gen and love it, but there's definitely some minor rust forming. Not nearly as bad as some of the first gens I've seen, but definitely some present. My wife has a 3rd gen and it's far less heavily driven, but so far it seems to be holding up alright.

I think the 3rd gen are the sweet spot, she autocrosses (STS) it and it's also the car we tend to take for longer trips where we want a degree of comfort. The car's a ton of fun and has grip for days, is sporty enough to be entertaining in an autocross environment, and looks great. I'm highly skeptical of the 4th gen, but if it's any indicator at all we're planning on picking up a gently used 21-23 2.5 CX5 soon, because we've both been pleased with our Mazdas thusfar.
Is your 3rd gen auto or manual? I disliked the manual — it felt plasticky and was almost impossible to shift smoothly 1-2. Not sure if it was just mine.

Also interested in the autox mods…

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Is your 3rd gen auto or manual? I disliked the manual — it felt plasticky and was almost impossible to shift smoothly 1-2. Not sure if it was just mine.

Also interested in the autox mods…
Both are manuals. I agree, the occasions that I've driven her car the manual doesn't feel as firm as my second gen, BUT I've got some bushings done as well as mounts -- wife is on stock mounts for the time being (but looking at the AWR mounts).

Hers: DRTuned 93 flash, Corksport intake & axle back, Koni yellows & RacingBeat springs, Progress RSB set to stiffest setting, Falken RT660 225/45/17 on 17x7 et55 NC Miata wheels. She's a very talented driver.
Mine: OVTuned 93 flash, Corksport intake, locally made catback, Koni yellows & RacingBeat springs, MS3 RSB, Falken RT660 225/45/17 on 17x7 et45 RPF1s, AWR 88A (I think?) 6MT mount, JBR engine (70A) & rear (90A) motor mounts, Schroth Rallye3 harness.