GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Thanks for all the effort you put into this! I haven't really seen smoke on the street (aside from a 'small puff' reported by a friend in a WRX) that I believe was when I shifted for a highway roll, but other than that nothing noticeable. Guess I'll leave it alone for the time being, and maybe look into getting the testing equipment together to verify that everything is running as it should.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If stuff is already leaking, I don't expect problems to get any better.
That's what you think! :ROFLMAO:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I hear there are some seals on Alibaba that come with an engine for a little over $2k....
Stop telling people, it's just making them more expensive for when I need a new engine. 🤣🤣🤣

tehfalcon

anyone running the MK8 PCV + Tiguan Venturi setup with a Hybrid turbo? Currently running a CTS Can on my DTR6054 but if there's evidence it's doing bad things, I'm happy to change.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
anyone running the MK8 PCV + Tiguan Venturi setup with a Hybrid turbo? Currently running a CTS Can on my DTR6054 but if there's evidence it's doing bad things, I'm happy to change.

I think just Yakev so far, and some guys in Germany which it fixed their car that had constant problems from what I understand.

You can enable translations in CC on Youtube:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Forewarning: finalizing the video stuff now, it's gonna be another lecture. 🤣

Sorry not sorry.

Edit: breaking of the internet is scheduled for 8:00am on Youtube. With the accompanying data on the website at 8:05. And a Facebook post at 8:15.

These links should all work by the morning:

www.datadrivenmqb.com/drivetrain/just-the-tip-testing

If you're on Facebook please do me a favor, like AND follow the page:
www.facebook.com/datadrivenmqb

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Chop chop I'm enjoying my coffee and need something to watch.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok now we're talkin'! My morning constitutional was just in time for the video hitting!

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Stop telling people, it's just making them more expensive for when I need a new engine. 🤣🤣🤣
Sorry, I can't help myself! 😅
I've been running the MK8 PCV with my hybrid, no issues so far. Just installed venturi yesterday.

Sorry not sorry.

Edit: breaking of the internet is scheduled for 8:00am on Youtube. With the accompanying data on the website at 8:05. And a Facebook post at 8:15.

Great video, watched over coffee this mornin. Its amazing how the venturi pulls vacuum even with the BMS TIP, and in fact performs best with it.

Yesterday I retrofitted by tapping into the eqt outlet hose, though I am having second thoughts about this setup. I'd be more comfortable if there was a few more threads on the bung:

2024-02-12 19.27.44.jpg

2024-02-12 19.28.31.jpg

2024-02-13 16.55.45 (1080).jpg

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Sorry not sorry.

Thanks for this! Everything makes a lot more sense now and I'm 99% sure this is what I'm dealing with. Definitely going back to stock TIP and hose at this point just to get back to a baseline. A couple dB of whoosies isn't worth the extra crankcase pressure.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
But how will the Blaze intake do with it's mongo integrated TIP. This is the real question. 🤣🤣🤣

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
But how will the Blaze intake do with it's mongo integrated TIP. This is the real question. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm not familiar with how it transitions into the turbo.

Basically the main difference between the Epman or Unitronic TIPs (which hurt vacuum, but not completely throwing it out the window like the BMS did) is that they have a smooth transition into the compressor housing. Whereas the BMS (and the CTS V2 which tested very low peak TIP vacuum levels with a gauge).

I don't think that vacuum level is directly correlated to airflow but moreso the port location and transition into the compressor housing. I PREDICT that the parts with a large dia and then necks down into the compressor (with the PCV on the large diameter portion) are more likely to give less vacuum on the TIP.

Look at Jeff's testing of outright flow on the things I've at least gotten TIP vacuum levels on...

https://mygolfmk7.com/turbo-inlet-pipe/

1707947422887.png

It goes Stock > APR > CTS Cast (V2) > BMS in order of flow.

Based on this (which was determined that the gauge is pretty damn close to accurate with all OTHER configurations later on when I fitted the PCV sensor):

https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/drivetrain/venturicrankcasetesting

1707947560576.png

The most the CTS V2 (granted, with an intake as well) ever pulled was -0.48psi at it's peak. Based on the difference of me testing with OEM TIP + airbox vs OEM TIP bare (with no filter or tube or anything), there could be another 0.6psi of negative pressure AT THE MOST. So we'll call it -1psi at best.

Whereas the Unitronic pulled -1.8psi at peak, and the Epman pulled -2.2psi at it's peak.

Obviously this is a bit of a stretch, assuming APR = Epman... but in order of vacuum:

Stock > Epman/APR > Unitronic > CTS Cast (V2)

So the CTS flows less than the Unitronic, AND produces less vacuum.

And of course people on the FB pages and stuff are acting like the sky is falling as predicted. Bottom line for anyone not tracking their cars, this will largely never show up as a real problem. Just wanted to make people aware of how to go about fixing their problems... rather than throwing junk PCV plates at them.