GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking boot golf mk8

Richops

Hi all,
has anyone had a problem with a leaking boot and water pooling in the spare wheel well.
noticed it today and took out the carpet inside and had to pop one of plastic bungs to drain water
and dry it . Just wondering if anyone had same problem? If so how did you resolve it please
thanks
rich

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I dare say that many of the common water ingress points on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf are - or will be - relevant to the mk8 Golf. Check out the list I posted in the discussion topic at the link below (post #2);

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...nd-right-hand-side-floor.440956/#post-8030454

I read another of your posts earlier where you said your car is a Cat N. Could your water ingress issue be related to your car’s repairs? (e.g. If new panels were fitted and insufficient seam sealant was applied between new panels and original body structure). If so, then I’d be taking the car back to whoever carried out the body repairs and getting them to fix it. If water ingress isn’t the result of the body repairs and if your car‘s still under warranty, I’d be taking it back to the VW dealer to fix.

Richops

I dare say that many of the common water ingress points on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf are - or will be - relevant to the mk8 Golf. Check out the list I posted in the discussion topic at the link below (post #2);

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...nd-right-hand-side-floor.440956/#post-8030454

I read another of your posts earlier where you said your car is a Cat N. Could your water ingress issue be related to your car’s repairs? (e.g. If new panels were fitted and insufficient seam sealant was applied between new panels and original body structure). If so, then I’d be taking the car back to whoever carried out the body repairs and getting them to fix it. If water ingress isn’t the result of the body repairs and if your car‘s still under warranty, I’d be taking it back to the VW dealer

Richops

It is a cat N and was not damaged there was the front passenger side sill and door area
Seen a few posts saying vents in corner of boot and tube from badge on boot
Not sure if leak will be covered in warranty like the steering wheel. Tho

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It is a cat N and was not damaged there was the front passenger side sill and door area
Seen a few posts saying vents in corner of boot and tube from badge on boot
Not sure if leak will be covered in warranty like the steering wheel. Tho
I can remember a Polo owner on the Polo forum had a water ingress issue with their car due to poor assembly when the car was built, and fixing it was dealt with under warranty. So it would at least be worth taking your car into your VW dealer and asking them.

Water ingress shouldn’t happen on a new or nearly new car, so the chances are it’s either a defect in the way the car was built or a defective component (e.g. air pressure equalisation vents, rear light cluster seals, tailgate badge drain tube) that‘s allowing water into the car. IMHO water ingress due to poor assembly process on the production line or a defective / faulty component ought to rectified under warranty.

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
Can be several reasons. On mine it was a bad weld in the left rear corner of the roof by the sunroof.

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine is going into the dealers in a couple of weeks for water ingress into boot, covered under warranty. Discovered a leak when washing, don't usually look under the boot floor, but my rear window had completely condensed up one morning, so lifted the boot floor and found a puddle. Thinking back now, since I've had it from new, I've always struggled with moisture in the car, washing it this time obviously put a lot more in than ordinary rain showers.

I've removed the centre carpet until it's fixed, and my leak appears to be coming from the passenger side, as the carpet at the rear by the side cubby hole is remaining damp after rain showers.

Richops

Well stripped out carpet side panels in boot yesterday and noticed a trail of water coming from L/H rear light area. Looked in rear quarter below light cluster to see it full of water. The plastic vent was quite loose. So removed the bumper that side and removed vent (just popped out) cleaned it All up and siliconed it all way round and pushed it back in then run a bead around top of vent just in case. So will see how this gets on 🤞also dried out wet areas and poured bit of oil in there to prevent rusting hopefully. Raining today will look later lol

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Had my passenger side rear vent replaced under warranty yesterday, all I was told was that it was “defective”.