GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GOLF waterpump leaks problem for YEARS ---why not solved

flogR

Ready to race!
It would have cost VW millions if under w'tee and more by way of reputation.
Can any VW whistle-blowers insiders answer ?

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Let me share a secret with you : because it’s cheaper not to. They’ve done the math that it would cost them less to replace some units in warranty and then let the customer deal with it post warranty. I’ve been in these discussions at my current job it’s the sad truth. The development time for a new design including packaging, validation, and tooling is probably 3 years. They’ve made small revisions for improvements but a new design is costly.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It would have cost VW millions if under w'tee and more by way of reputation.
Can any VW whistle-blowers insiders answer ?
It's a damned shame, and just recently lead me to get rid of the GTI I loved so much.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
A leaking waterpump made you sell your car?
The water pump failure was just one link in the very expensive chain that removed much of the confidence I had in the car over the past few months.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
some people just aren't cut out for euro cars out of warranty.

i'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't released something. even if VW wanted to spend the money on developing a more reliable water pump, they're not making money back giving them out for extended warranty replacements. but there are plenty of owners who'd cough up the money to not deal with it every 20-40k.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017

i'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't released something. even if VW wanted to spend the money on developing a more reliable water pump, they're not making money back giving them out for extended warranty replacements. but there are plenty of owners who'd cough up the money to not deal with it every 20-40k.
This is the part I've wondered about for a bit now. Mine hasn't gone fully yet, but I do seem to get some loss during the hotter months.
Isn't the issue that the pump housing cracks or leaks because it's plastic? Seems like an all metal housing with an inset gasket would resolve that issue no?
Of all the aftermarket parts that exist for these cars, the fact that this hasn't been resolve AF is strange

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
This is the part I've wondered about for a bit now. Mine hasn't gone fully yet, but I do seem to get some loss during the hotter months.
Isn't the issue that the pump housing cracks or leaks because it's plastic? Seems like an all metal housing with an inset gasket would resolve that issue no?
Of all the aftermarket parts that exist for these cars, the fact that this hasn't been resolve AF is strange
They did for the MK4. Not sure why there hasn't been an aftermarket metal one made for the MK7 yet.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
yeah, the only aftermarket option is a metal impeller, which is cool, but not the part that seems to fail.

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport

Development and reverse engineering. Those would be fairly complex dies.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
I may be a lucky man, but ive replace my pump once, and it wasn't even leaking the first time. Im going to replace it again around 50k miles later just as maintenance, but I think it may just be a QC issue. Ive met many others with similar situations to myself. (Im currently at 92k miles)

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
I may be a lucky man, but ive replace my pump once, and it wasn't even leaking the first time. Im going to replace it again around 50k miles later just as maintenance, but I think it may just be a QC issue. Ive met many others with similar situations to myself. (Im currently at 92k miles)
So far at 73k and I'm still on my original.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
The reluctance to provide a proper non-leaking water pump is simply bad customer relations. Depending on the model, what's an extra $200 for a metal pump housing? Insignificant. Someone won't buy a $42,000 R with a metal housed water pump for $42,200? Yeah, right. The dealers regularly soak buyers by not negotiating off of MSRP or add stupid things to the car that you don't want but are goaded into buying, sometimes for more than that. So a swapping to a better water pump is the right thing to do but they just don't want to.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
It was my understanding that it's this part that cracks or warps and causes a leak.
Of course I may be wildly incorrect.
1709297247932.png