GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yup it's delrin, they make an aluminum version as well but I didn't want to be burning my hand in the summer and then having to shift with an icicle in the winter haha- I'll look into the bushings!
I'm so glad that I went delrin for the shifter in my other car -- it's a miracle material as far as not getting blazingly hot or freezing cold. The BFI knobs are very, very nice as well but $$$.

I was overly paranoid and bought a second set of cable end links so that I could afford to fuck up, but it's somehow even easier than it seems looking at it.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I'm so glad that I went delrin for the shifter in my other car -- it's a miracle material as far as not getting blazingly hot or freezing cold. The BFI knobs are very, very nice as well but $$$.

I was overly paranoid and bought a second set of cable end links so that I could afford to fuck up, but it's somehow even easier than it seems looking at it.
Yeah I considered a BFI, but I really liked the motorsport look of the Rennstall. Also, not that it matters, but I swear literally every VW owner has a BFI shift knob these days lol

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yeah I considered a BFI, but I really liked the motorsport look of the Rennstall. Also, not that it matters, but I swear literally every VW owner has a BFI shift knob these days lol
Very understandable, the reason it's in mine is because I bought it for my wagon and it's a nice little way to keep a bit of it around/with me.

I'm still (and forever will be) annoyed that VW couldn't just use a threaded knob like the rest of the free world.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Very understandable, the reason it's in mine is because I bought it for my wagon and it's a nice little way to keep a bit of it around/with me.

I'm still (and forever will be) annoyed that VW couldn't just use a threaded knob like the rest of the free world.
They're darn nice, there's definetly a reason they're so popular! I have thought about getting one for my daily

I've also never understood why VAG doesn't use threaded knobs...though strangely the one on my old B5 A4 was threaded, but my B8.5 isn't lol

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
They're darn nice, there's definetly a reason they're so popular! I have thought about getting one for my daily

I've also never understood why VAG doesn't use threaded knobs...though strangely the one on my old B5 A4 was threaded, but my B8.5 isn't lol
They're not the only ones that don't use screw on. A lot of manufacturers use set screws, especially if the knobs aren't perfectly round.

Downside to screw on is that they can easily loosen over time, especially if they need a "center" point with a shift pattern or something on top. I know a guy that chased a rattle in his camaro for a year before he realized it was an ever-so-slightly loose shift knob because it was screw on and he was a fidgeter while sitting at red lights.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Paging Dr Diggs. 15k on this set.
IMG_4680.jpeg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Went under the knife for a little procedure yesterday, so it was slow going in the shop today, but I got the Caprice PPV Axle Back done and helped my buddy swap his rear diff & Kooks headers on.

Tomorrow is the fun part, building from the headers to the axle back (or as far as I feel up to).

Couldn’t decide on tips, so it’s staying 3” straight cut for now. If there’s enough interest I’ll be offering the axle backs for Caprice (possibly SS & G8 too).

IMG_3580.jpeg
IMG_3582.jpeg
IMG_3572.jpeg
IMG_3565.jpeg
IMG_3564.jpeg
IMG_3591.jpeg

https://youtube.com/shorts/l8ksKA7wz6Q?si=DuaFin3HHZ2A0tly

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Nice. Throw them back in.
Fresh set already in. Changed the front diff fluid went perfect. Drained the transmission and pulled the filter out to then realize they sent me a dq250 service kit instead of a dq381 kit. So currently my car is occupying a lift at my buddy’s shop until I can get the correct fluid and filter from the dealer in the morning. Really ruined our momentum too. If it didn’t happen like that we probably would have knocked out my new shift knob, intake, o2 spacer and center console kit.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
The shop sent me a text last night saying they finished my car. So much for it being next week I guess? I really like this place as they text you a completion link that shows pictures of before any work/condition of car and once they complete the work. Oil pan is all sealed up and ready to go. According to pictures, I need to get an alignment. They recommended this in the visual inspection report on recommended services. I had to decline as the repairs I did approve ended up being $1236.44. I so very bad need a lift, because I just can't work under jack stands anymore, apparently I fuck shit up when I am stuck to crawling around under the car in limited space with limited visibility of what I am working on. If I had a lift, I could of done this properly myself and my metal pan swap would have worked. Now, I am out all the money for the metal pan, the oil, and associated parts for the swap, plus this bill I just paid to have a shop do it with new OEM parts. Thankfully, my wife sees this dilemma and understands the frustration and is on board to build a shop with a lift. More on that in the future. Really excited to pick the car up today, and its a brisk 50 degrees outside. I still need to raise the coilovers and install the Koni's in the rear, but I think I can do at least that with my jack stands.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The shop sent me a text last night saying they finished my car. So much for it being next week I guess? I really like this place as they text you a completion link that shows pictures of before any work/condition of car and once they complete the work. Oil pan is all sealed up and ready to go. According to pictures, I need to get an alignment. They recommended this in the visual inspection report on recommended services. I had to decline as the repairs I did approve ended up being $1236.44. I so very bad need a lift, because I just can't work under jack stands anymore, apparently I fuck shit up when I am stuck to crawling around under the car in limited space with limited visibility of what I am working on. If I had a lift, I could of done this properly myself and my metal pan swap would have worked. Now, I am out all the money for the metal pan, the oil, and associated parts for the swap, plus this bill I just paid to have a shop do it with new OEM parts. Thankfully, my wife sees this dilemma and understands the frustration and is on board to build a shop with a lift. More on that in the future. Really excited to pick the car up today, and its a brisk 50 degrees outside. I still need to raise the coilovers and install the Koni's in the rear, but I think I can do at least that with my jack stands.
A temporary solution, until you get your shop with a lift built, would be the Quick Jack. I have one and it's awesome! Makes working underneath the car so much easier.

GTIscream

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
Even though there is a week of nothing but rain in the forecast, it was finally warm enough to wash the car (filling the wash buckets with warm water of course)! Which of course means i've doomed the rest of New England. Take that rest of New England!
washed-01a.jpg

And don't forget the exhasut tips:
washed-02.jpg

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
IMG_6108.jpeg

Visited my friends at Eurosport and finally got the car on the dyno. Goal was to have a quick spooling turbo that would still flow decent up top for track use. Pretty happy with hp/tq curve.

UM Flex tuned with DBV2 V1 TBB on E80. Had them make pulls on high and low boost (30psi & 24psi)