GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pulling Water Pump, replace or reinstall?

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
Hi,
2017 SE. I'm planning to pull my intake manifold and water pump to install an oil cooler. I know these pumps are prone to failure, but I have had no coolant issues. 48k miles, mostly track/autocross for the last few years. Is there anything I should look out for other than mechanical failure? Are these such a bad design that I should preemptively replace it? I was planning on doing all gaskets and light carbon cleaning anyway, but reinstalling the old pump unless there was something obvious.

Thanks

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
mine started to leak at 23k, being replaced under warranty as we speak.
I'd say replace it since you have it off.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Hmm, it's a tricky one IMO, as it just seems a lottery as to what mileage any given pump will fail. Some start at very low miles, but others can soldier on quite a long time (the one I did on daughters 1.8TSI for example had done near 150k miles and wasn't even leaking - but the thermostat had started acting up hence the replacement). You could therefore replace it, only to have the new one fail quickly whereas the original might have been fine for quite a while yet. If your car was over 100k, perhaps it might be worth it but I think at 48k I'd be tempted to just replace the seal and union and put it back on if you've had no problems to this point. More so if you have the ability to DIY it.... while it's not exactly a fun job, it's not actually too difficult in the grand scheme of things.