GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible reasons for misfire on cyl 2?

Gaytac0

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE, EM2
Good evening all,

I'm new here and relatively new to GTI but not German cars. My car is a 2016 GTI SE, stock, 43k miles. I got a P0302 code after I refueled my tank to about 3/4 full. I can notice some stumbling at idle but fine at higher RPMs. Spark plugs replaced at 36k miles last year, no smoke, no carbon cleaning done yet, original 8yr old coil packs. I did read the thread about the N80 sensor so could I just leave that unplugged without too many issues? I gotta wait til Monday to do more troubleshooting anyway.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
cyl 2 can be a bad n80 valve. swap your coilpacks and then plugs around to see if the code moves or not first though.

Gaytac0

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE, EM2
cyl 2 can be a bad n80 valve. swap your coilpacks and then plugs around to see if the code moves or not first though.
I'll swap those when my scanner comes in Monday. What I did do was unplug the N80 sensor and that seemed to have eliminated the misfires (for now). What are possible consequences of leaving the sensor unplugged?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
These cars are notorious for cylinder 2 misfires..

You can get new plugs, new coils and it will still eventually pop up.

I pulled my cylinder 2 plug couple of months ago, cleaned it, di-electric greased the coil packs and moved on and the CEL hasn’t been back on.

Start with carbon clean and make sure your running premium.. cars are notorious for carbon build up as well..

Gaytac0

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE, EM2
These cars are notorious for cylinder 2 misfires..

You can get new plugs, new coils and it will still eventually pop up.

I pulled my cylinder 2 plug couple of months ago, cleaned it, di-electric greased the coil packs and moved on and the CEL hasn’t been back on.

Start with carbon clean and make sure your running premium.. cars are notorious for carbon build up as well..
Hello, I swapped my #2 coil pack to #1, inspected my #2 plug but it looks fine. No oil in cylinder #2. Still got the misfire so in a bit of frustration I ran and got some high PEA injector cleaner and now the car is running fine. My guess would be a failing injector or due for a carbon clean? The car has 43k miles but it is 8 years old. Funny enough this started right after a complete fill with premium fuel.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Yeah man, it’s what it is on these cars~ they are weird.

Worse case scenario is you can pay a shop to do a compression check and make sure nothing is going on internally besides a carbon clean.

Gaytac0

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE, EM2
Yeah man, it’s what it is on these cars~ they are weird.

Worse case scenario is you can pay a shop to do a compression check and make sure nothing is going on internally besides a carbon clean.
Good evening~

I read on this forum that these cars do tend to misfire at idle sometimes, what would be a normal amount? My OBDII shows sometimes no misfires, sometimes a few, but typically no more that 15-20 per cylinder for about an hours worth of driving. No stored or pending codes anymore

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Good evening~

I read on this forum that these cars do tend to misfire at idle sometimes, what would be a normal amount? My OBDII shows sometimes no misfires, sometimes a few, but typically no more that 15-20 per cylinder for about an hours worth of driving. No stored or pending codes anymore

My car can be the same way at times and I’m tuned.. don’t stress about it

Gaytac0

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE, EM2
My car can be the same way at times and I’m tuned.. don’t stress about it
It looks like my OBD2 data shows it running lean
IMG_2533.png
. Can you confirm?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Replace coil packs, pump 2 gallons of e85 and see if it helps.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If someone is not getting misfires at WOT, could it really be coils? In my experience, they either work correctly or they don't work at all.