GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Tires Rubbing - Corrective Options

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
How will camber arms help? Are you running the minimum camber already? More negative camber will not help this problem.
Why wouldn't it? Explain please.

It's the least expensive option in an attempt to get a less than 1-2mm clearance.

You can see the wear mark right above the lettering.

IMG_5758.jpeg

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Well, camber arms and alignment done. Was only able to squeeze a -2.1° on the rear.

This weekend are the National Pro Solo’s, will give it a test and see.

View attachment 301343

Still rubs, just not as much.

I'll leave it alone for now, probably swap to a different tire after these next two events when we break for summer.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Maybe a slight push outward with one of those fender rollers may give you the little relief you need now. If you set the wheel to push instead of roll it should push the entire area out instead of just the edge. I did that on the rear of my GTO.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Maybe a slight push outward with one of those fender rollers may give you the little relief you need now. If you set the wheel to push instead of roll it should push the entire area out instead of just the edge. I did that on the rear of my GTO.
Only the inner lip can be clearanced, not the outer lip, to remain STH legal, if that matters to the OP.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just curious, what were the specs of your previous 8.5" wheels, and what tire were you using on that set?

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
They were ET43 offset, versus ET42, and I was running 255/35 RT660's as well.

That extra 1mm contributed more than I thought.
Wouldn't it be more like 7mm additional towards the fender side since you went from an 8.5 to a 9" wheel?
The 9" wheel can also allow the wider tire to sit flatter, which can also increase the actual overall width of the tire too.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Wouldn't it be more like 7mm additional towards the fender side since you went from an 8.5 to a 9" wheel?
The 9" wheel can also allow the wider tire to sit flatter, which can also increase the actual overall width of the tire too.

Maybe? I don't know exactly, I don't dive into specs like that enough to know all the potentials, which is my own fault I know. I would have thought a wider wheel would have squared off the edge with a flatter profiler of the tire more, versus bulging out and over the rim. Just an unintended consequence of not diving into too many details before putting the wheels on the car.
rim-to-tire-fit-1024x451.png

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Maybe? I don't know exactly, I don't dive into specs like that enough to know all the potentials, which is my own fault I know. I would have thought a wider wheel would have squared off the edge with a flatter profiler of the tire more, versus bulging out and over the rim. Just an unintended consequence of not diving into too many details before putting the wheels on the car.
View attachment 303984
With the wheel change you picked up 7.3mm of poke pushing the tire away from the car.

Screenshot_2024-04-29-14-37-22-78_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=35&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9&offset2=42

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Cool, my 18x9 et42 iSweep wheels with same size PS4’s don’t run, hence not really diving into rim and tire specs too much.

Live and learn.
That's because that tool don't take into account manufacturers deviations in sizing. I usually read the actual measured specs on Tire Rack to know how a tire may fit. That tool is good at showing you were the rim will be and a general idea of the location of a tire.

1714480775083.png

Your 18x9 et 42 sits further in than my 18x8.5 et 42 with a 5mm spacer with MPS4S 245/40/18 and I don't rub in the back at all. Even when pulling a fully loaded trailer. Both our wheels (mine without spacer) will have the tire thread in the same location. I think you went with 235 now right? That will definitely set you in for not rubbing.

1714480716595.png