GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Jake, hear me out;
I have a dual-tip diffuser (ebay special) that fits up to the OEM GTI bumper, and plan on buying a dirt cheap golf R exhaust for the suitcase/tips.

I also have a clubsport exhaust on the way. Is it heresy to chop the clubsport tips off and weld up the duals just for the R OEM look?

is it worth it.png

Congrats on the new family member, been lurking this thread for a while.
Cheers,

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
Jake, hear me out;
I have a dual-tip diffuser (ebay special) that fits up to the OEM GTI bumper, and plan on buying a dirt cheap golf R exhaust for the suitcase/tips.

I also have a clubsport exhaust on the way. Is it heresy to chop the clubsport tips off and weld up the duals just for the R OEM look?

View attachment 302017

Cheers,
i did something similar a couple of years ago bought a almost new (june 2020 manufacture) cupra mk3 complete exhaust really cheap for like 250 euros.
something like this

Remove the tips and weld new ones. it was done in a muffler shop, it was a bit hard to work because there is not much distance to put a 90 degree elbow and put aftermarket tips.
muffler shop sort it out welding pie cuts. but it cost lot more what i expected.

Last edited:

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Jake, hear me out;

View attachment 302017

Cheers,
I don't think that would work. The Clubsport muffler has internal routing for only 2 outlets, so the second set would have to just be "stuck on" somehow and wouldn't be functional. Also the dimensions are different between where the CSS muffler tips branch out and the R ones do.

You'd probably be better off trying to fit the R muffler, cutting the connecting pipe short, and having a connecting pipe made that turns the right way to meet your factory exhaust. Jake might have a better idea, though.

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
I cleaned and repaired the sunroof *again*. It was leaking on the wife today which means my RTV/VW vinyl fix wasn't fixed anymore. The vinyl that they use to cover the cracks had gotten water under it of course. The RTV was starting to flake off. I reapplied RTV and put another Vinyl bit over it to seal the crack for the time being. I really wish there was a permanent fix for it, say burning the entire car to the ground and collecting the insurance (I wouldn't do that, but geez).

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake, hear me out;

View attachment 302017

Cheers,

Sounds like you’re going the most expensive & difficult way possible.

Fabrication has it’s limitations as others have mentioned, bend radius being the main one coming into play here.

Aside from that, cutting up existing parts to modify them isn’t as easy as just “hey cut there”, you can only make accurate cuts with a accurate saw (which isn’t easy or necessarily possible to chuck a full axle back up in).

With all that said I’m sure someone could rig it together for you, but the time & money would be much better spent building from scratch.

IMG_3725.jpeg
IMG_3561.jpeg
IMG_2692.jpeg
IMG_2693.jpeg
IMG_2698.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I cleaned and repaired the sunroof *again*. It was leaking on the wife today which means my RTV/VW vinyl fix wasn't fixed anymore. The vinyl that they use to cover the cracks had gotten water under it of course. The RTV was starting to flake off. I reapplied RTV and put another Vinyl bit over it to seal the crack for the time being. I really wish there was a permanent fix for it, say burning the entire car to the ground and collecting the insurance (I wouldn't do that, but geez).
That's why I refuse to buy a GTI with a sunroof.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks for the response, the pictures helped a lot too. As someone else mentioned, it's probably easier to do as you've pictured; have it split off each pipe and not a true functional dual tip. Regardless, definitely more fabrication involved than I figured. I will probably enjoy the CS exhaust as is for a while until I figure it out. 👌

1712320839651.png

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Thanks for the response, the pictures helped a lot too. As someone else mentioned, it's probably easier to do as you've pictured; have it split off each pipe and not a true functional dual tip. Regardless, definitely more fabrication involved than I figured. I will probably enjoy the CS exhaust as is for a while until I figure it out. 👌

View attachment 302062
This depend on the exact location of the GTI tips, vs the dual opening on the diffuser. You could use some regular dual tips as below.
1712328377609.png

Or offset duals like below. I doubt it would be a perfect fit... I do know there are several Aliexpress sellers that will make custom tips to whatever specs you provide, but again they could deviate by a little and probably won't fit either. Custom made like Jake would be the smart choice, but as he pointed out, will definitely be the most expensive one.

1712328416594.png
1712328449841.png

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018

View attachment 302062
The distance between the exhuast pipe and the end of diffuser is not more than 25cm. A 90 elbow is like 10cm distance and average exhaust tip length is around 15-18 cm.
Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Q1JgSYGBhP4Wy-YgyQGMnqo53W7-BXdxER5UafYNENE.jpg
    Q1JgSYGBhP4Wy-YgyQGMnqo53W7-BXdxER5UafYNENE.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 28