GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In process: Alibaba GTI build

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
$780 for the kit. Maybe ill rebuild it and do all alibaba parts. Keep the theme going 😂
How difficult would it be to put pistons into a brand new motor?

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
$780 for the kit. Maybe ill rebuild it and do all alibaba parts. Keep the theme going 😂

Please do lol. I wanted to get those Hench Performance pistons/rods to put in the engine I have coming now but I couldn’t justify paying for an extra set of piston/rods when I already have some here waiting to be used

golfRdaddy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17R / 16R
Brand new motor as in short block? A Short block would be easier. The long block you would have to remove cams, head, timing etc. Once you have the motor out and everything off, I felt the motor was stupidly easy to take apart. I still need to make it to the only machine shop in town that knows their stuff audi / vw. Time will tell how easy it is to install the pistons and get it all buttoned up.

golfRdaddy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17R / 16R
Got the block dropped off. The machine shop said the damage does not look too bad. Waiting for a call back to confirm bore size after cleaning.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (19).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (19).jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 95

jonzey231

Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6M/T w/ PP
Nice, time to build that!
So I just discovered this entire thread this morning and read through all 35 pages. Kudos and congrats to you on this whole thing dude. It's wild and awesome.

I found a bit too much oil on my plugs the other day and one coil pack grounding stud seems to be stripped (it holds well enough for now lol) and started thinking "welp time for a new motor because no other car seems to do it for me".

I've never done anything close to a swap before but buying a motor and learning to build it for an eventual swap would be a hell of a thing to do on the weekends during free time.

Thanks for the entertainment and knowledge here. That is all.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So I just discovered this entire thread this morning and read through all 35 pages. Kudos and congrats to you on this whole thing dude. It's wild and awesome.

I found a bit too much oil on my plugs the other day and one coil pack grounding stud seems to be stripped (it holds well enough for now lol) and started thinking "welp time for a new motor because no other car seems to do it for me".

I've never done anything close to a swap before but buying a motor and learning to build it for an eventual swap would be a hell of a thing to do on the weekends during free time.

Thanks for the entertainment and knowledge here. That is all.
You don't need a new motor. You can re-thread for the stud; and seal for the oil.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
oddly enough I was looking today for anywhere that will build a shortblock.......outside of IE, couldn't find much.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
oddly enough I was looking today for anywhere that will build a shortblock.......outside of IE, couldn't find much.
most machine shops can do it, but they tend not to be big on internet advertising. I found a local shop that VW people like, I wouldn't bother sending stuff cross-country to wait 6-24 months on a big brand builder.

on the east coast I know people like Ivan Bimbolov, but I think he's up in jersey.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
most machine shops can do it, but they tend not to be big on internet advertising. I found a local shop that VW people like, I wouldn't bother sending stuff cross-country to wait 6-24 months on a big brand builder.

on the east coast I know people like Ivan Bimbolov, but I think he's up in jersey.
wait....so you actually know someone that has done it and can build one? I'd MUCH rather take word of mouth recommendation.........my own shop here sends their engines to NAPA to get tanked/honed/etc, so they don't even do it, which is why I've been 🤷‍♂️

scrllock

Autocross Champion
wait....so you actually know someone that has done it and can build one? I'd MUCH rather take word of mouth recommendation.........my own shop here sends their engines to NAPA to get tanked/honed/etc, so they don't even do it, which is why I've been 🤷‍♂️
yes, steven @ 8bit (RIP) recommended him and I know another guy who has one of his motors and is happy with it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
yes, steven @ 8bit (RIP) recommended him and I know another guy who has one of his motors and is happy with it.
awesome.....I think he's with pagparts? I'll find him

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
no, different guy. arnold lee is pag parts up in NY, he also builds motors. I wouldn't hesitate to use him, either.
okay thanks...guess I'll google his name then....he own his own shop?