GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Suggestions?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Here is the ACT Clutch kit I started with. I had 65k miles or so of spirited driving and frequent pulls from 2nd and 3rd. IDK if you remember my post but the clutch was fine until I let my wife drive it. She thought second gear was first and for 2 weeks of being mistreated and being started out from a stop in second gear, the clutch finally gave up. She drives spiritedly so those were basically hard take offs in second with enough rpm to carry the higher gear start, instead of being in first. I've asked her several times didnt it seem odd that she was having to rev to 3k rpm to keep the car from stalling at take off? She was oh I wasnt thinking about it lol. The good thing is she aware of the mistake now and had to watch with me as the $ for the new ACT Clutch kit left the bank account.

https://www.amazon.com/ACT-Engagement-Exclusivediaphragm-Carefully-Engineered/dp/B07FBJJ8D9

I was comparing that and the 6-puck (next level up) this morning but I can't decide if the 6-puck is going to suck to commute with

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
While these manufactures “ratings” are to be taken as a couple grains of salt, considering they claim that to be a 500tq (at the flywheel) rating for the daily. a healthy vortex setup is getting very much on that cusp esp if he’s at 33psi already with 93, If he ever added some E and got the timing turned up it would be worse… much better to go endurance or drag if sticking with stage 3 from SB/exedy.

That hpa hybrid and Canada fuel though, it’s plenty safe 😂. If with a diggs turned to 11 file
Yeah, maybe. No Diggs tune, we never got around to it, once my misfire was solved by a new battery I just stuck with the HOON tune, there was no need to waste Diggs' time. I peak at 29PSI. Taper to 27 at 7200. Probably just shy of 400whp, or thereabouts.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I was comparing that and the 6-puck (next level up) this morning but I can't decide if the 6-puck is going to suck to commute with
The ACT VW9-XTSS is what I replaced it with. It's not bad, but I haven't really sat in heavy traffic yet either, just your average 4-way intersection. I just go to neutral until I know green is coming up and then just notch in to first. This clutch is very smooth and engagement is very quick but also has good feel and predictability.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
SPEC clutch for the win. It's what I have and the clutch is amazing!
Which SPEC clutch? 3+? Been wanting to hear about someone running this as I will need another clutch within the next year.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
SPEC clutch for the win. It's what I have and the clutch is amazing!
Also curious as to which spec clutch you have- I have 3+ in my A4 and it's very daily drive friendly- didn't see a 3+ option for the MK7 though last time I looked

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Which SPEC clutch? 3+? Been wanting to hear about someone running this as I will need another clutch within the next year.
Also curious as to which spec clutch you have- I have 3+ in my A4 and it's very daily drive friendly- didn't see a 3+ option for the MK7 though last time I looked
I have their Mini Twin Drag clutch which I absolutely love! It grabs instantly and you can daily it as well. Another forum member, @Mk7Matt, also has it.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have their Mini Twin Drag clutch which I absolutely love! It grabs instantly and you can daily it as well. Another forum member, @Mk7Matt, also has it.
Yeah this clutch is awesome! It’ll hold all the torque.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI

Is there anywhere that has more info on them? I can't find a ton of info on those Spec min-twins, even on their own site. It sounds like it would do the job but I worry about commuting with it.

I think I'm leaning towards the ACT HD / Race Spring 6 puck. Stratified carries them for less than everywhere else. But I am not in urgent need as my current Ringer still holds until I really push it.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
That's why I bought it initially, it should've been way more torque holding capacity than I needed.

So it sounds like my solution, regardless of which clutch I go with, is to go single mass flywheel. And if with Ringer, the stage 5 kit without the self adjusting pressure plate

I'm tempted. Especially if I'm switching to a SMF either way
I totally missed the post where you said you were running the stock DMF. I assume that could at least partly be the reason why you are having issues.

Have you contacted Mike Hood to see if he has any feedback for you? He has been very easy to contact and super helpful on the only [very minor] issue I've had so far.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I totally missed the post where you said you were running the stock DMF. I assume that could at least partly be the reason why you are having issues.

Have you contacted Mike Hood to see if he has any feedback for you? He has been very easy to contact and super helpful on the only [very minor] issue I've had so far.

I shot him an e-mail this morning actually.

I'm not so naive to think my next clutch should be my last but I also don't think it's reasonable to have to do one every spring. I'd like whatever I land on to give me a few years!

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
I shot him an e-mail this morning actually.

I'm not so naive to think my next clutch should be my last but I also don't think it's reasonable to have to do one every spring. I'd like whatever I land on to give me a few years!
I totally understand your point of view. If I don't get 40k out of a performance clutch that I dropped $1700 on (plus all the "while I'm in there" stuff), I'll be looking at other options too.

I ended up going with a Fluidampr crank pulley to mitigate the chances of crank walk and extra NVH with a SMF. I feel like I went with the best option to keep me from being totally paranoid about crank walk. I know SB and other clutches have been proven to work well. With the extra leverage placed on the crank by their pressure plates, I probably would have been wondering how long the thrust washer would last.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Is there anywhere that has more info on them? I can't find a ton of info on those Spec min-twins, even on their own site. It sounds like it would do the job but I worry about commuting with it.

I think I'm leaning towards the ACT HD / Race Spring 6 puck. Stratified carries them for less than everywhere else. But I am not in urgent need as my current Ringer still holds until I really push it.
Yeah I know their website lacks info on the clutches. What I ended up doing was calling their customer service and talked to a tech to get more info.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I had southbend stage 2 endurance. It did start slipping after 40k miles of hard launches, AutoX, track & generally aggressive driving.

Although i never dynoed on E40, my butt dyno says 350.

I didn't realize Ringer was that much cheaper. Oh well. Going with another SBC