GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Thanks, I'm sure it will be a blast. I'm mainly just looking to make sure the car is as dialed as I can get it. Even if I'm the slowest around the course I'm going to be having fun doing it lol. I plan to bring a portable air compressor so I can run lower psi in the tires for grip, and some basic tools so I can pop the rear seat out. Hopefully I can get my coilovers adjusted so I can run that taller sidewall tire up front too. Right now they dont fit.
100% the right attitude to go into it with, you'll be A-okay. I know there's a fair number of AX focused guys on here, and a lot of their insight is going to be FAR more valuable than mine. Sounds like you know exactly what to do and what to bring though, you'll be golden. PS there are two types of autocrosser: the ones who don't wear the safari looking hats, and the ones who've been around and understand them. Sunscreen is a must, and the hats make a lot of sense after your first season of standing in a hot parking lot.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
100% the right attitude to go into it with, you'll be A-okay. I know there's a fair number of AX focused guys on here, and a lot of their insight is going to be FAR more valuable than mine. Sounds like you know exactly what to do and what to bring though, you'll be golden. PS there are two types of autocrosser: the ones who don't wear the safari looking hats, and the ones who've been around and understand them. Sunscreen is a must, and the hats make a lot of sense after your first season of standing in a hot parking lot.
Haha nice, yea I actually own a safari hat from 80eighty. I wear it for exactly those reasons, hot and sunny parking lots with no shade.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm replacing my coils today. Worth it to pull the plugs to take a look at since I will be in there anyway? No issue removing and reinstalling, right? Not sure if the washers on them are only meant to be crushed once.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
So dumb fucking question of the month. Is throttle all the way down but the kick down switch not engaged considered 100% throttle?

I am trying to get some Simos data logs in manual mode on a DSG.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
So dumb fucking question of the month. Is throttle all the way down but the kick down switch not engaged considered 100% throttle?

I am trying to get some data logs in manual mode on a DSG.
Depending on PID logged, 80 can equal 100% throttle. Believe JB4 and a few others have this happen.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thanks, I'm sure it will be a blast. I'm mainly just looking to make sure the car is as dialed as I can get it. Even if I'm the slowest around the course I'm going to be having fun doing it lol. I plan to bring a portable air compressor so I can run lower psi in the tires for grip, and some basic tools so I can pop the rear seat out. Hopefully I can get my coilovers adjusted so I can run that taller sidewall tire up front too. Right now they dont fit.
Bring a stick of sidewalk chalk and chalk the sidewall edges of your tires. You can see what the wear looks like and that can determine the tire pressure you need. Definitely ask the more experienced drivers and they'll be willing to help.

You've got the right attitude going in :). Autox is probably the most expensive motorsport per minute that I've been involved in, but the test and tune days are usually the best time to bring a car out, learn it, and make adjustments. It's impossible to learn a car and setup when you're driving for 4-5 minutes in total, but on the test and tune days I've gotten 25+ runs/minutes out of a day and that helps a lot.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I'm replacing my coils today. Worth it to pull the plugs to take a look at since I will be in there anyway? No issue removing and reinstalling, right? Not sure if the washers on them are only meant to be crushed once.
No issue at all

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
What is the depin tool size for the rear tail connectors? I bought one of those sets and messing with a spare connnector I have. The ones I had broke 😂. I hate electrical stuf.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
On my first change, the indie used the Liqui Moly DSG fluid. Car functioned like factory. Most recent fill up was back to OEM and feels exactly the same. Not sure what is happening internally, but neither shop reported anything out the ordinary.

So I feel like ^this is probably accurate.
I'm on LM, no issues aside from some jerkiness on 1 and 2. I can't remember if that was there prior. Trying OEM fluid this time around. FB warriors got to my head.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have 1 liter of motul dsg fluid I would gladly pass to someone in need. Now that I have the tiguan and no dsg, I have no need for it.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
What is the depin tool size for the rear tail connectors? I bought one of those sets and messing with a spare connnector I have. The ones I had broke 😂. I hate electrical stuf.
FWIW I'm using Hazet 4672-1

2 pins 1mm x 0,5mm. Center to center about 2,4mm apart from each other.

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Just curious as to what tc settings you guys run? I have:
ASR OFF / ESC OFF V2
Cobb tc: 7 (1 is no slip and 8 being off)

But I mostly just run asr off and cobb tc:7

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
FWIW I'm using Hazet 4672-1

2 pins 1mm x 0,5mm. Center to center about 2,4mm apart from each other.
Thank you. Hate de-pinning. I have a cheapo tool set coming in tomorrow. I also mocked up and found that my repair wire is too short, and I broke one of the spring clips on the hatch.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Thank you. Hate de-pinning. I have a cheapo tool set coming in tomorrow. I also mocked up and found that my repair wire is too short, and I broke one of the spring clips on the hatch.
Same here. Always had these cheapo de-pinning boxes. Guess what, the most used ones always broke too early. Finally I bought the Hazet one. First comment of my wife: why didn’t you buy this tool way earlier?

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Same here. Always had these cheapo de-pinning boxes. Guess what, the most used ones always broke too early. Finally I bought the Hazet one. First comment of my wife: why didn’t you buy this tool way earlier?
Would that tool have made de-pinnning something like this much easier?
Luckily since it was damaged and I was replacing it I just broke it the rest of the way.

IMG20240406180208.jpg