GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question regarding a couple codes and a smoke issue

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Codes -

See sig for vehicle and mods.

Yesterday I got an EPC light that turned off after cycling the ignition. I scanned the car using my Cobb AP and the following codes appeared:

P0011
P00AF
P2564

In regards to the P0011 code, the car runs and idles fine. so I don't think it's a timing chain issue. I did a search on the P0011 code and it appears that it might be the camshaft adjuster magnet and have one in my FCP cart.

In regards to the the P00AF, and P2564 codes, I have no idea. I know that when the car is off it can still throw codes but wanted to get some feedback on them regardless.

Again the car runs and idles fine and the EPC light is currently off.

The second issue I'm having is some moderate smoke on hard acceleration. I changed the PCV valve and that made no difference. I don't think it's a head gasket issue as the oil looks fine and it doesn't appear to be consuming oil or coolant so now I'm wondering if I might have a failing turbo. Or and I know this may be a longshot, but could the smoke issue somehow be related to the above codes?

My current plan is to keep driving and be extra observant on the appearance of the oil and fluid consumption.

Again I've noticed absolutely know decrease in performance or drivability issues..

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Replace magnet. If that doesn't solve it replace the spool valve.

For the turbo, remove actuator rod and see if WG arm moves freely. If so, replace actuator.

Considering how hard these tuning companies push IS38s I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing was toast in it. The camshaft not being able to advance/retard won't cause smoke.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Replace magnet. If that doesn't solve it replace the spool valve.

For the turbo, remove actuator rod and see if WG arm moves freely. If so, replace actuator.

Considering how hard these tuning companies push IS38s I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing was toast in it. The camshaft not being able to advance/retard won't cause smoke.

The HPA turbo I'm running has an upgraded bearing and of course it's out of warranty. sigh..

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Codes -

See sig for vehicle and mods.

Yesterday I got an EPC light that turned off after cycling the ignition. I scanned the car using my Cobb AP and the following codes appeared:

P0011
P00AF
P2564

In regards to the P0011 code, the car runs and idles fine. so I don't think it's a timing chain issue. I did a search on the P0011 code and it appears that it might be the camshaft adjuster magnet and have one in my FCP cart.

In regards to the the P00AF, and P2564 codes, I have no idea. I know that when the car is off it can still throw codes but wanted to get some feedback on them regardless.

Again the car runs and idles fine and the EPC light is currently off.

The second issue I'm having is some moderate smoke on hard acceleration. I changed the PCV valve and that made no difference. I don't think it's a head gasket issue as the oil looks fine and it doesn't appear to be consuming oil or coolant so now I'm wondering if I might have a failing turbo. Or and I know this may be a longshot, but could the smoke issue somehow be related to the above codes?

My current plan is to keep driving and be extra observant on the appearance of the oil and fluid consumption.

Again I've noticed absolutely know decrease in performance or drivability issues..

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What color is the smoke, blue or white? You can always save the codes and clear them to see if they return after taking Diggs' advice. You could do a compression check to rule out the rings and valve seals. Unless you want to take the turbo off and check the seals for leakage, I'd wait until it gets worse. Keep an ear out for the sound of the turbo to see if it gets louder.

Last edited:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
What color is the smoke, blue or white? You can always save the codes and clear them to see if they return after taking Diggs' advice. You could do a compression check to rule out the rings and valve seals. Unless you want to take the turbo off and check the seals for leakage, I'd wait until it gets worse. Keep an ear out for the sound of the turbo to see if it gets louder.

More on the white/light grey side. I ordered a compression check gauge as I should probably have one anyway. If the compression checks out, I'll follow your advice and wait and see if it gets worse. Right now there's no unusual sounds but will keep an ear on it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
More on the white/light grey side. I ordered a compression check gauge as I should probably have one anyway. If the compression checks out, I'll follow your advice and wait and see if it gets worse. Right now there's no unusual sounds but will keep an ear on it.
Any odor to the exhaust that would indicate it's a fluid burning?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Any odor to the exhaust that would indicate it's a fluid burning?

Nothing distinct that I notice in the cabin. One thing I didn't mention is that it only happens at WOT under boost. Otherwise the car runs, idles, and sounds completely normal.