GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone in NJ willing to let a GTI owner test drive their R?

theblackgt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 GTI / BMW F07
anyone around central/north jersey with a DSG MK7 R that’s laidback enough to let a GTI owner test drive it? long shot but no harm asking. 😅

i’ve been thinking about upgrading eventually but the one test drive I had was cut short and somehow made the R feel underwhelming. so wanted to take another shot to see if it was just a bad test drive.

i’m not planning on hooning anyone’s car I promise, it’s just there’s nearly no Rs for sale locally so figured i’d shoot it here. I have an FBO GTI on ST XTA’s so no worries with lowered cars. feel free to pm me here or dm me on ig @theblackgt.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
If your ever in Kentucky let me know. Mine is stage 2, so more than stock for sure, but will give you an idea of what a couple items and a tune will get you. Good luck in your search.

theblackgt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 GTI / BMW F07
If your ever in Kentucky let me know. Mine is stage 2, so more than stock for sure, but will give you an idea of what a couple items and a tune will get you. Good luck in your search.
appreciate you for that. I did test drive another R that was stock, and wasn't a great route, but it still wasn't very exciting. I think I've been spoiled by the theatrics of a full exhaust and tire spin on the GTI, the R just felt desensitized even when I tried LC. But maybe if I got in one with a similar setup to mine I'd feel different.

That_R4t3D_R_Chick

Car(s)
2016 MT Golf R
I have a MT, but you could drive mine. It's not nearly stock so it'll give you an idea of what it will be like once you sink a load of money into it. 😉

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
A stock R is a bit underwhelming. It doesn't feel that quick and there's no drama when you floor it. I had the dealer let me do 2 test drives and I still wasn't sure about it, but it was the car I wanted so I moved forward with it. A tune really woke it up though and took it from something that was kinda boring with its speed to something that could really push you back into the seat when you step on it. The benefit of the R is you don't have to build the car up and trade comfort for more NVH in order to put that power down.