GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone know what these are?

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve seen these only on 40th anniversaries and Autobahns. I don’t know about S’s but for sure SE‘s don’t have them. I can only assume by this it’s some part of the DCC system. That said the MK7 and 7.5 never had them. Anyone know??

IMG_0440.jpeg

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
They’re fitted to all cars with 19inch alloys, I would assume Vw realised the bigger wheels cause an issue some how and this is their fix.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
They’re called wheel arch spoilers, wheel arch lip spoilers or wheel spoilers.

They’re fitted by VW to the mk8 Golf when it has 19” wheels, which are wider than the standard 18”. The optional 19” wheels are also fitted with 235 section tyres (225’s on the standard 18” wheels). Depending on the wheel’s offset, wider wheels and tyres can mean that the wheels protrude outwards further than the standard 18” wheels, leaving the tyre tread exposed when viewed from above, so the solution is for manufacturers to fit these wheel arch spoilers to cover the exposed tyre tread section.

It’s not just VW that fit them, I think it may be a legal requirement in some countries for all car manufacturers to fit them where certain wheel / tyre combinations result in exposed tyre tread that could cause injury (some manufacturers actually have a small lip molded into the car’s bumper rather than use a separate part - see picture below of a Renault Clio)
IMG_1145.jpeg

Last edited:

CH47AV8R

They’re fitted by VW to the mk8 Golf when it has 19” wheels, which are wider than the standard 18”. The optional 19” wheels are also fitted with 235 section tyres (225’s on the standard 18” wheels). Depending on the wheel’s offset, wider wheels and tyres can mean that the wheels protrude outwards further than the standard 18” wheels, leaving the tyre tread exposed when viewed from above, so the solution is for manufacturers to fit these wheel arch spoilers to cover the exposed tyre tread section.

It’s not just VW that fit them, I think it may be a legal requirement in some countries for all car manufacturers to fit them where certain wheel / tyre combinations result in exposed tyre tread that could cause injury (some manufacturers actually have a small lip molded into the car’s bumper rather than use a separate part - see picture below of a Renault Clio)
View attachment 280227
Yep.
Went in the bin right after delivery.

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed

View attachment 280227
Yer it’s law in the U.K. that no tire tread can be exposed outside of the wheel arch. A quick fix and cost effective for VW save every bumper having them designed into the mould. They’ll just add these for anyone optioning 19s.