GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

automatic speed limters

smartyy

Does any one know what if any new golfs are fitted with automatic speed limiters as a legal reqirement from 6 th july this year . It is not clear

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The legal requirement is for all new car models launched on or after 6 July 2022 to be fitted with them - existing models on sale on or after that date aren’t legally required to have a speed limiter.

As the mk8 Golf was launched before 6 July, then VW aren’t legally required to fit it with a speed limiter. Maybe the mk8.5 facelift will get a speed limiter if it’s considered to be a new model. Historically, VW have referred to facelift models a ‘the all new Golf / Polo’ etc. in their marketing / advertising material, even though it’s an existing car with a few tweaks.

If VW does make a mk9 Golf (they may not with the 2030 ICE new car ban), then it’ll have a speed limiter, and probably other ‘safety’ tech such as black box data loggers, alcohol / breathalyser sensor that won’t allow the car to be started if the driver‘s blood / alcohol level exceeds the legal limit etc.

smartyy

The legal requirement is for all new car models launched on or after 6 July 2022 to be fitted with them - existing models on sale on or after that date aren’t legally required to have a speed limiter.

As the mk8 Golf was launched before 6 July, then VW aren’t legally required to fit it with a speed limiter. Maybe the mk8.5 facelift will get a speed limiter if it’s considered to be a new model. Historically, VW have referred to facelift models a ‘the all new Golf / Polo’ etc. in their marketing / advertising material, even though it’s an existing car with a few tweaks.

If VW does make a mk9 Golf (they may not with the 2030 ICE new car ban), then it’ll have a speed limiter, and probably other ‘safety’ tech such as black box data loggers, alcohol / breathalyser sensor that won’t allow the car to be started if the driver‘s blood / alcohol level exceeds the legal limit etc.
Thanks for that info I am new to VW allways had jap cars for the last twenty years but as toyota etc have stopped diesel I am looking at VAG do we know for sure that there is not a automatic speed limiter fitted as I know some ford and volvo modles have had them for time

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
No, I don’t know for sure. I’ve not seen anything on any of the other VW (or VAG) forums I‘m on that suggest VW are already fitting mandatory speed limiters. Maybe some forum members will be along who’ve taken delivery of a new car on or after 6 July and confirm one way or the other.

As for models that were on sale before 6 July 2022 - I’ve just done a bit of ‘Googling’, new sales of those models from 6 July 2024 also need to have mandatory speed limiters from that date (06/07/2024).