GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can anybody look at these codes with a fresh set of eyes?

Mexijim1986

Long story short, Golf mk6,1.4 TSI. 150k miles. Never had any abs / brake issues since buying in 2009. Annual services and maintenance since purchase.

About 3 months ago, a week after changing all 4 tyres following a puncture, started getting sporadic and intermittent ABS / ESP codes, then followed shortly by ERROR BRAKE WORKSHOP codes. All codes are now on constantly, not able to clear using my Rosstech scanner. Codes are as follows;

U101700 - ABS module read out DTC
U005600 - Vehicle Communication Bus D.
00668 - Vehicle voltage term 30
01316 - Brake control module

00287 - Right rear ABS sensor
03842 - Right rear speed sensor
00290 - Left rear ABS speed sensor
03841 - Left rear speed sensor

Have taken the car to two decent garages, both were stumped. One cleared the codes properly on VCDS, but they returned as I drove out. 2nd garage suggested replacing both rear ABS sensors and bearings for £650 - the car is being part exed at Christmas for only £1500 so I’d rather not. I also don’t think the faults are the ABS sensors; reading online, it’s unlikely for both to go bust on the exact same day, and the electrical fault codes would more than likely explain them. I have boroscoped the sensors and no broken cables, replaced all dash / engine fuses today, still no joy.

Car drives absolutely fine with ABS disengaged, but MOT is due 1st November and will fail with current warning lights.

Given the low voltage / electrical codes, I suspect there is an electrical gremlin. I have just remembered today that the week before the codes appeared, I blew the cigarette lighter with a dodgy tyre inflator. I replaced the fuse and binned the inflator and forgot about it. Now I’m wondering if that incident bypassed the 20v fuse and blew something elsewhere? Or maybe it’s just me clutching at straws.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I’m at the end of my rope with it, but hope that somebody looking at this with fresh eyes can see something obvious I’ve missed. I don’t want to spend ££££ replacing brake units / modules / bearings and still be back at square one.

Cheers