GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Forum Wiener Declares: GoiNg tO A NEw uRL iS hARd

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
I'll hit 39 in May. Definitely not looking forward to the 40s.......

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
I wasn't either when I initially turned 39. But I eventually remembered my 40s are up to me and I can make them as awesome or as depressing as I want. Take charge, bro.
When I was like 15 I used to play CS with a group of guys who were all in their 40s, and the outlook I got from one guy in particular that's really stuck with me was that once you hit ~40 life starts to get really cool. You don't give a single shit about what people think, and you're just doing shit for you. Typing it out now it sounds kinda silly, but it was profoundly impactful to me at that age, and I think I'm getting much closer to the point of not giving so much weight to the opinions of others.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Think I just pushed out of mid. 39.
1696597058062.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

dtfd

Autocross Champion
I feel like I need to downgrade my Car Enthusiast credentials. I paid someone to do a job I’m fully capable of doing all because I just didn’t feel like doing it.

…another symptom of being 40+ I guess.
Depends on the job.

Can I change a clutch? Sure. Have I done it before multiple times? Sure. Did I consider doing it for even a second when the GTI needed a new clutch? Fucking Nope.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
hah, what a wuss!

i've totally done that

clownish

just clowning around
I do it when I don't want to deal with it. For example, I fluid film the dailies we drive. Consequently, I hate changing the oil and will happily pay someone else 80 bucks to do for me on the daily.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
I feel like I need to downgrade my Car Enthusiast credentials. I paid someone to do a job I’m fully capable of doing all because I just didn’t feel like doing it.

No, that's called success. I paid a local (reputable) shop to do my clutch kit, because rather than stress about it myself I got to go eat a burrito.

I'm proud of doing jobs myself, but there's definitely stuff I'll farm out just because I'd rather do something else. Having the option is a great thing.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
No, that's called success. I paid a local (reputable) shop to do my clutch kit, because rather than stress about it myself I got to go eat a burrito.

I'm proud of doing jobs myself, but there's definitely stuff I'll farm out just because I'd rather do something else. Having the option is a great thing.

1696598361714.png

mrmatto

Autocross Champion

Been there! Valuing your time is good, and being able to use your hard-earned income to get time back is great.