GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Rice Buys A Minivan

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Just take the top hat out completely, its three bolts.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
someone help me - what 'special' tools do i need to do my front struts? i have a strut spreader tool and spring compressor set but its the top-hat stuff i might not have. please post you link?

A 2x4

riceburner

Autocross Champion
You don't need a spring compressor. If you have an impact use that for the top nut otherwise borrow someone's impact for the job. I know what the manufacturers say, to fiddledick around with that Allen to counter hold it blah blah blah...every time I've seen someone do that they get popping noises. 3 ugga duggas gets it tight without problem.
dammit i still dont have an impact :(

i dont need a spring compessor? is that where the 2x4 method comes into play?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
dammit i still dont have an impact :(

i dont need a spring compessor? is that where the 2x4 method comes into play?
I still disagree here with an impact, if you tighten everything with the spring compressed it's easy to get it to not make noises. Metalnerd makes a pass-through socket thing that will work well for units requiring the allen key to hold it in place, and by fully tightening the top hat without load on it (from the spring), you can fully tighten them and then install the assembly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
someone help me - what 'special' tools do i need to do my front struts? i have a strut spreader tool and spring compressor set but its the top-hat stuff i might not have. please post you link?
You got a 2 x 4?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Why can’t @jay745 just make us a new forum with all the data? Why he so lazy

He should at least reach out to the forum admins and tell them the plebs are getting upset.

Last edited: