GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Rice Buys A Minivan

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
My parents got another new car and they put some 3rd party tracking shit on it and made them pay for it. I removed it as soon as they got the tags in. I looked up the company and despite all the advantages they claimed to produce they didn’t seem to favor the consumer at all.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
I figured. The all state guy said the only thing they don't like is when you go over 80. That means no highways ever and no having fun on a couple roads where I hit 90 in a 45 about once a week.
He seemed pretty adamant that it would never hurt my policy, but I don't really want them seeing my driving behaviors. I told both of them it doesn't sound like a good idea for me because of the type of car it is. The all state guy was just like, well we don't care what kind of car it is so that doesn't affect anything. Then it's like no you're misunderstanding what I'm saying...I have a fun little car that I'm constantly breaking laws in.

As your insurance advisor, I'd advise against saying that to them. A simple "No thanks" is sufficient.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
I'd also advise against the retort "Buddy, this cars speedometer starts at 80!"

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
As your insurance advisor, I'd advise against saying that to them. A simple "No thanks" is sufficient.
When I go to change policies I want to be doing donuts while I've got the new insurance company on the phone.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
But they said they won't! 🤣

They wont' raise your rates. They'll just use it to find excuses not to pay if you ever need to file a claim, and drop you.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
They wont' raise your rates. They'll just use it to find excuses not to pay if you ever need to file a claim, and drop you.
Oh I'm sure. I just stick to the line that I value my privacy more than a small discount (and I need that port for my accessport gauges!).

cb1111

my first car was a dope little die-cast F355 (I think? some flavor of Ferarri)

It's on a shelf with a couple other memorable little cars, no idea who gave them to me BUT I know I was super into hot wheels when I was a kid. Very strange, because nobody else in my family is a car nerd.

Same story here. No idea where the hot wheels obsession came from, but I managed to pick up an interest in cars nobody in my family had.

I remember talking my parent's ears off about cars growing up haha
I always thought that Matchbox was better than Hot Wheels since they seemed more realistic.

I think my first one was a VW police car - green and white beetle. I still have it somewhere.

1690320137753.png

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
So this is basically one of the things I do for work...working with insurance and telematics providers to record and rate driving behavior. Don't do this under any circumstances unless you're driving like a grandma 100% of the time. Theyd drop you in a heartbeat
Always knew it! Every time i switch cars they try to sell me on it and i say no thanks lmao

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Think I'm done getting insurance quotes now. I probably won't go the costco/connect route. They got a lot of bad reviews.

I think it'll be between all state and state farm. With similar coverages all state came in at $171 a month, and state farm at $164 a month.

I have a pretty long history with all state due to being on my parents policy with my first few cars. Apparently I never got taken off their policy when I got my golf R and got my own. I might lean to all state just because of that, and hoping that my history with them will help me if I ever need to rely on insurance.

They both me want to sign up for their app that watches your driving behaviors for additional savings, but I don't think it's a good idea. All state was telling me your policy can't increase because of the app and the worst that can happen is I only get a 1% discount. I might have to look into this more, but I'm mostly against it.

Having a long history is part of the reason I’m with AllState. May parents had the same policy and agent for 20+ years and he helped me big time when I had 16 points on my license. He didn’t say a word and because the policy was old they never ran it. When it was time to get my own policy John hooked me up and has been awesome ever since. He is a car guy and knows what’s up.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Yeah I design software for insurance companies. Telematics is just one small portion of that.

Dolla Dolla Bill yall

Everyone is a cog in the great machine.
I too am a cog. Have helped set up tons of roadside and toll cameras and systems like that.