GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Sterkrazzys Five Page Dissertation - TLDR He Got A Flat Tire

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
PDI. Mrs Mud used to ask why I would re-check others work. Shitty people do shitty work, unless you KNOW the person working on it a few quick checks are often worth it.

heck over inflation was prob the cause of your original complaint about the hum. Could've saved yourself $30K

;)

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

mwoodski

Autocross Champion

manu97

Autocross Champion
Yeah, that's true for when you select "dealer installed." When you select "APR UltraLink" on those tune pages the price drops to $130.
Could be wrong, but at the top, it says "install device only".

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Just saw the APR thread, and dammit their resetting the flash counter still doesn't mean you could avoid TD1. BUT that means that maybe there will be hope for Cobb support, though in theory you'd have to reflash a TON to reach a point where you brick the ECU from flashing.

yeah they confirmed in their thread that its the same price booo

yeah, I mean I get it that they can't do their dealers dirty offering cheap tunes but it's still a bummer.

I maintain that if I were to switch platforms at this point I'd just go OS, but I'm happy (and likely ignorantly so) enough with my decisions at this point

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
i figured the dealer installed cost had a bit built into it so the dealer made money but i guess not lol
Yeah, you'd think BUT maybe it's one of those things where it's something they don't make money on but still build rapport, so you take the vehicle to the dealer who tuned it for other work.

I know the APR dealer closest to me (APTuning) has a dyno in house and has done some dyno days with cheap dyno pulls, and ultimately I went to them to have my clutch done because I was familiar with them from prior interactions with tuning on my mk4s.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
I would guess shop time is how dealers make the money on tunes.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
I would guess shop time is how dealers make the money on tunes.
so the place i'll be getting mine done at has told me that they don't charge for the flash portion of it. you just buy the tune and they put it in for free.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
so the place i'll be getting mine done at has told me that they don't charge for the flash portion of it. you just buy the tune and they put it in for free.
Yeah, I've never paid shop time (which is good, at one point I had a tune flashed that took several HOURS, not 100% sure what the deal was there but I believe they ultimately figured out it had something to do with the stereo install?) but I think it depends on the individual shop. Most of the time it's not a long process, and again cheap relationship building.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Gotta be careful with that Rule 2.

I think the justice system here has a systemic issue of mis-calibrated punishments (...among other things). Some folks getting 10 years for possession and sale of weed while other folks getting 5 years for manslaughter. I can understand wanting some "make up justice" to pick up the court's slack.

I'm not sure a full switch to a Scandinavian model would work here because we've got fairly different socioeconomic pressures/factors. I do think putting more effort in to actual education of prisoners would be beneficial.
I 100% know subjecting prisoners to more crime and violence is not the answer to crime.

I'm not saying it should be a day spa, but they should be safe while in custody and receive counseling at a minimum.

It's impossible to do this because we choose to overfill prisons for minor, nonviolent offenses, because we've privatized state prisons and guaranteed the CEO's of a minimum occupancy in the contracts. We literally have prison quotas. Multiple judges have been prosecuted for getting kickbacks to send kids to jail for minor offenses.

I'm all for capitalism when it comes to cars, tv's, phones, gizmos and gadgets, but our health care, military, judicial and penal system, probation, etc... should 100% not be run for profit. It's a complete conflict of interests.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Very interesting. APR says they reset the flash counter when you flash back to the stock tune with their new at home tuning device.

Interesting. Very interesting.