GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Rice Buys A Minivan

messrock

Autocross Champion
I gotta bring some ONR and microfibers along so I don't look like a complete fool among the locals with the freshly washed cars

I was super excited though, cars & coffee preceded our road rally last weekend and a couple young (like not even teenage) kids were excitedly looking at my car, which I feel never happens. I'm not low, wide, or (overly) noisy, so it doesn't get a lot of attention in show settings. Someday I'll go a bit lower, though just enough to close up the wheel gap a bit.

If only coilovers weren't so damned expensive. I miss $300 racelands (not that I've personally run them but in spirit I miss them), now even the 'cheap' brands are four figures. Wild times.
I haven’t washed since before Labor Day. It’s been raining every chance I had and now I’m living in road work hell. They’re ripping up my road daily b/c they’re replacing gas mains. There’s a layer of dirt that is constant on the road and it’s just a daily dust cloud.

Prolly gonna hit the touchless a couple times before meeting up with the convoy so my wheels don’t look like I spray them in brake dust.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Stucco is a Florida staple. Our house is 23 years old the stucco is in really good shape. There's a fancy pants neighborhood we were looking at out near Ponte Vedra when we moved to Floriderp and I'm glad we ended to where we did. The stucco looks like crap and is falling off these people's 5 to 10 year old homes. They big mad.

messrock

Autocross Champion
@Acadia18 there are two ways they can go about siding over the shingles - seal them in and go over using a barrier board (not great, b/c they can crack and shift underneath) or remove all of the shingles and replace with vinyl siding or new shingles. Going over will save some money, but it may not ever look right.

If removing and replacing, it opens up options to vinyl siding, cedar shingles or asphalt shingles. Asphalt will last the longest and you can just repaint whenever with little to no maintenance.

I was quoted 12k to side (vinyl) over my asphalt (asbestos) shingles, 15k to remove and side (vinyl again).

Because 95+% of my shingles were still in good shape, we just painted.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@Acadia18 there are two ways they can go about siding over the shingles - seal them in and go over using a barrier board (not great, b/c they can crack and shift underneath) or remove all of the shingles and replace with vinyl siding or new shingles. Going over will save some money, but it may not ever look right.

If removing and replacing, it opens up options to vinyl siding, cedar shingles or asphalt shingles. Asphalt will last the longest and you can just repaint whenever with little to no maintenance.

I was quoted 12k to side (vinyl) over my asphalt (asbestos) shingles, 15k to remove and side (vinyl again).

Because 95+% of my shingles were still in good shape, we just painted.
We just painted this year. Roof next year. Looking at $15k minimum. Owning a home is so much fun. 🤣

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Fuckin wood homes.
Great point. Dude i loved mexico for how all of the houses are made of concrete or some sort of plaster. Great insulation. Great noise insulation. No creaking. No maintenance.

cb1111

I know there are really way too many factors that go into this to get any semblance of an accurate answer, but I'm going to ask anyway.

We're thinking of replacing windows and residing the house in the next year or two. The windows needed to be done when we moved in 4 years ago, and the 30+ year old siding is showing its age. The windows, I have a rough idea on what to expect it to cost, but residing the house? I don't even have any inkling of what to expect a quote to be. House isn't that big, pretty standard 1200sq/ft, 3 bedroom 2 floor house. In my head I'm thinking $10k - $15k? But I have no idea if that's even close or not. Siding is wood shingle right now, and I wouldn't be opposed to going either vinyl or wood shingle again. Shit, I don't even know which costs more...
Get hardiplank and never worry about siding again.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Great point. Dude i loved mexico for how all of the houses are made of concrete or some sort of plaster. Great insulation. Great noise insulation. No creaking. No maintenance.

If you love it so much why don't you move there?!?

cb1111

Is there something that can be other than shingles that would last a lot longer?

I dont mean stuff like plastic siding, I'm talking about something like a brick facade. How is that done on a non-brick build home and is that maybe worth looking into?
HardiPlank. Works great. It is basically cement siding that has the color mixed in.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I was looking all over and couldn't find my cat. Ninja was hiding out in my car
20231024_182811.jpg