GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Desperate Need For A Smoke Machine In The East Coast, Canada Wildfires Don't Suffice Anymore

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Well for less than $10, it's worth looking at. I'm gonna wrap my AP faceplate, and depending on how it looks I might do the parking brake handle. I don't really have any other plans for it, because there isn't a ton of forged carbon on the car. At one point I considered bringing the forged carbon look to the exterior with mirror caps and a wrap on the roof, BUT ultimately I think that'd be overkill.
I can almost forgive cf wrap on the interior....but fake carbon vinyl on the exterior is almost as tacky as windshield decals that state the make of the car you're driving (Honda civic with a giant HONDA sticker across the windshield)

Or come to think of it...any windshield decals that you aren't being paid for.

........ @riceburner

dtfd

Autocross Champion
The thing I don't like about buying forged carbon is the amount of variation that exists in chopped tow. You could have two hoods come out of the exact same mold but the type of tow used in the process will have dramatic effects on the final look. So if you're buying one piece of forged carbon from a seller you're almost forced to buying everything else from them so there's some degree of similarity between the pieces.

Carbon weave COULD have that same problem but the fact is everyone uses 2x2 45 degree bi-axel twill weave so you're fairly safe buying different pieces from different vendors.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
I can almost forgive cf wrap on the interior....but fake carbon vinyl on the exterior is almost as tacky as windshield decals that state the make of the car you're driving (Honda civic with a giant HONDA sticker across the windshield)

........ @riceburner
I'm sticking to interior, because of my forged carbon wheel I wanted to extend the look just a little. Honestly I think the exterior is about where I want it to be, it sorta looks like a WSM Rabbit Edition, if those were offered. Going lower in 2024, and then otherwise just mods to improve driving dynamics.

I'll continue to enjoy my notaspeed3 banner with pride ;)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
1000001773.jpg

Finally a sit down method where you don't get poofinger.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
The thing I don't like about buying forged carbon is the amount of variation that exists in chopped tow. You could have two hoods come out of the exact same mold but the type of tow used in the process will have dramatic effects on the final look. So if you're buying one piece of forged carbon from a seller you're almost forced to buying everything else from them so there's some degree of similarity between the pieces.

Carbon weave COULD have that same problem but the fact is everyone uses 2x2 45 degree bi-axel twill weave so you're fairly safe buying different pieces from different vendors.

Forged CF started showing up in golf clubs last year and it got a decent eye roll out of me. Just stick to the classic IMO. Especially in golf clubs, from a materials science standpoint, a weave should be the better choice in my mind.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Forged CF started showing up in golf clubs last year and it got a decent eye roll out of me. Just stick to the classic IMO. Especially in golf clubs, from a materials science standpoint, a weave should be the better choice in my mind.

I read this and pictured you monitoring contact tracing of forged carbon across car clubs for Golf owners.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I read this and pictured you monitoring contact tracing of forged carbon across car clubs for Golf owners.

"We noticed you've been talking to 981, who recently informed us of his intention to use cheap forged carbon lookalike vinyl. You need to stay home for 10 days. If you feel the urge to purchase forged cf at any point in the next 10 days, please get tested for aesthetic taste."

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Yeah I've seen a few of those threads. Kinda BS to sell a "vented" hood at that price point and it's neither vented nor perfect fitment. Zhongzhong IATF 16949 carbon hood probably better choice.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Gotta agree. Not a fan of the forged carbon look.

riceburner

Autocross Champion

........ @riceburner
i had to try it. but better to get a matte black windshield decal than what the other boys in the yard get, i.e., something like a cursive, pearlescent font "do me hard daddy"