GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Desperate Need For A Smoke Machine In The East Coast, Canada Wildfires Don't Suffice Anymore

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
It's been well maintained and was running good until last year when it started having problems after problem. One of these weekends I'll do a compression and leak down test and will have a better idea of what I want to do after that.
Gonna need a starter for that no? Might as well take the first step.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
If I'm being honest my passion for it has dwindled. I used to love working on cars, now I hate it. Should never have started doing side work because it turned my hobby into a chore.

This is why I did not choose automotive in trade school. Didn’t want it to become that.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
If I'm being honest my passion for it has dwindled. I used to love working on cars, now I hate it. Should never have started doing side work because it turned my hobby into a chore.

Always the case. I fell out of love of cars when I started doing it for a living. It took years, like 12, to get back rolling where I want to work on a car.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Jay and Clownish, I'm looking to tackle building a motor as a project (take it all apart and learn). Likely this summer/fall.
I'm keeping an eye on motors for sale since it's not really cool to have my GTI down for a month (likely way more), so finding one to buy and put on a stand is going to be the move.
If you plan on selling the motors to a forum member over FB, hmu.

Too bad you're on Mk6 platform, mk7 bois can Fedex a plug n play motor from IATF certified zhongzhong stores for like 3 grand.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Jay and Clownish, I'm looking to tackle building a motor as a project (take it all apart and learn). Likely this summer/fall.
I'm keeping an eye on motors for sale since it's not really cool to have my GTI down for a month (likely way more), so finding one to buy and put on a stand is going to be the move.
If you plan on selling the motors to a forum member over FB, hmu.

I’m glad to see you are going this route. For a first time learning build, plan to have the motor ready for install in terms of months not weeks.. then budget for the multiple “fuck, motor is coming back out” events. Shit always goes wrong as you learn. Embrace the suck and laugh at your dumb mistakes. I once forgot to install the pushrods in a motor because it had been 10+ years of only working on OHC engines. 🤣

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Too bad you're on Mk6 platform, mk7 bois can Fedex a plug n play motor from IATF certified zhongzhong stores for like 3 grand.

I can sell him a clean 13778mi MK7.5 motor right now. Even comes in an awesome shipping crate that says “GTI” on the back.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
I was trying to find that thread to see if its possible for a CCTA block/crank/whatever

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
I’m glad to see you are going this route. For a first time learning build, plan to have the motor ready for install in terms of months not weeks.. then budget for the multiple “fuck, motor is coming back out” events. Shit always goes wrong as you learn. Embrace the suck and laugh at your dumb mistakes. I once forgot to install the pushrods in a motor because it had been 10+ years of only working on OHC engines. 🤣
Cheers.
I just wanna learn and do it. Pistons, Rods, Valve Springs, LSD, Longer Gears (probably mk7 trans) are the big ticket items.
I wouldn't take an MK7 motor. Too farty. I bet it has to do with the exhaust manifold being built into the heads. I'll take the MK6 sound any day. It fucking roars and I love it.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
build me a spare bpy pls

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Cheers.
I just wanna learn and do it. Pistons, Rods, Valve Springs, LSD, Longer Gears (probably mk7 trans) are the big ticket items.
I wouldn't take an MK7 motor. Too farty. I bet it has to do with the exhaust manifold being built into the heads. I'll take the MK6 sound any day. It fucking roars and I love it.
I have a couple mk4 2.0s that were bought with the idea of tearing down and doing something fun, but after selling the wagon they're gonna wind up going to scrap. Big agree that there aren't many good sounding loud mk7s, mine's pretty quiet and I'm fine with that when I've heard the alternative.

Though I hear all you hear on a Vortex setup is spool, and that sounds delightful.

clownish

just clowning around
I have a couple mk4 2.0s that were bought with the idea of tearing down and doing something fun, but after selling the wagon they're gonna wind up going to scrap. Big agree that there aren't many good sounding loud mk7s, mine's pretty quiet and I'm fine with that when I've heard the alternative.

Though I hear all you hear on a Vortex setup is spool, and that sounds delightful.

Any 1.8ts?

clownish

just clowning around
I was trying to find that thread to see if its possible for a CCTA block/crank/whatever

im happy to sell it @ a good deal to a forum guy; im in OH if that changes anything because shipping a pallet is a few hundred bucks. im still stripping auxillariy stuff off it, but entire motor good @ 96k mi with anything i cant use im happy to not store. i have a bunch of new parts that i didnt end up using like entire timing kit, a metal water pump, a new oem rms and other assorted stuff. currently working on making a battery harness to put it behind the passager seat / install harness bar / remount engine so i can get a template of the boost puiping / fab surge tank and ops locations - its all exploded all over and it kind of stresses me out. these amazon carts that can hold about 700 lbs are a god send for moving motors and stacks of boxes or tires around - https://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Tool...9921811&sprefix=600lb+cart,aps,89&sr=8-3&th=1

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
im happy to sell it @ a good deal to a forum guy; im in OH if that changes anything because shipping a pallet is a few hundred bucks. im still stripping auxillariy stuff off it, but entire motor good @ 96k mi with anything i cant use im happy to not store. i have a bunch of new parts that i didnt end up using like entire timing kit, a metal water pump, a new oem rms and other assorted stuff. currently working on making a battery harness to put it behind the passager seat / install harness bar / remount engine so i can get a template of the boost puiping / fab surge tank and ops locations - its all exploded all over and it kind of stresses me out. these amazon carts that can hold about 700 lbs are a god send for moving motors and stacks of boxes or tires around - https://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Tools-85-182-Folding-Platform/dp/B085W8RG7Z/ref=sr_1_3?crid=33RIDUCA6QWXE&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5M8NSt3NUKPwF3OBtnBZ8B6Vu9XaGS42UTcwxXk5B5WwEJWD3Q37IiWCzsoHUYfnZnR5cI9aDRIGKWjtmlUTxNJN0MbSY59WHLvW5AporWP85LxRkNumje3iONFm2TOddUFBCYFGWmUrE4s_yDrwcqW0R70889but2FIC3-ubIuKkcB4bEocJH_m5TKVW_UMxP3awfYwbaoR3mfESHoHMxbAF3XhNy0E5ZMgqzT8zWo.jZ8vedi3Vz3BmRDoAoc2TZWHGn1ZZWekoKauYy5IFnA&dib_tag=se&keywords=600lb+cart&qid=1709921811&sprefix=600lb+cart,aps,89&sr=8-3&th=1

Shipping?

@aspro_gti just drove from the Great Boston Metropolitan Area to Florida and back for fun. Going to Ohio to pick up an engine is a quick day trip for him. It's only 3 states away!

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Any 1.8ts?
Unfortunately I don't have any :( I'm not sure how interested you are, but I've had good luck with One Love Auto Group getting me mk4 parts. I'm actually planning to try to work out donating some wagon-specific goodies to them, and unless someone from here decides they want to pick them up, I've got a Bentley manual for mk4s printed, sleeved, and organized into binders. Great setup when I had my mk4, but at this point it's just taking up space in the garage.