GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Desperate Need For A Smoke Machine In The East Coast, Canada Wildfires Don't Suffice Anymore

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
If I need a truck, I'll rent it and return it. I'd never own one, unless I needed it for work or win the lottery and buy a dedicated race car.
My wagon was my truck, RIP :( now I have an SUV that does most of what I'd need a truck to do. Though our driveway setup doesn't really make towing anything an option, it's nice to have something I can throw larger stuff into. Eventually we're also gonna get a roof rack and a box, but that's a ways away. Right now though, it's doing racecar support duty and doing pretty good for that.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
1714486768660.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My wagon was my truck, RIP :( now I have an SUV that does most of what I'd need a truck to do. Though our driveway setup doesn't really make towing anything an option, it's nice to have something I can throw larger stuff into. Eventually we're also gonna get a roof rack and a box, but that's a ways away. Right now though, it's doing racecar support duty and doing pretty good for that.
We made 8 runs to the dump when I was up in VA visiting my son. Hauled away an old shed from the back yard in my wife's Outback.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

clownish

just clowning around
Just gimme a Tacoma with a V8. The new models have a turbo 4 🤮🤮🤮

I have a friend who had a 5th gen runner, sold it for an accord for a while to buy a house (5th gen pricing/value stays ridiculous), now is trading the accord for a 4th gen with teh v8. sounds like a great "deal" to me.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
SUV’s are great if you have kids. Other than that they suck unless they can tow then they suck a little less

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
SUV’s are great if you have kids. Other than that they suck unless they can tow then they suck a little less
That's why we bought a station wagon, with a 8 in lift. 🤣

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
I had a really specific list of needs: Good fuel economy (~30mpg), regular fuel, simple drivetrain (no CVT, no sideways engine), covered cargo space for unexpected rain, able to carry four AX tires/wheels and four adults, AWD because snow, not awful to work on. I was ultimately left with the CX-5 being the only thing that made sense and didn't cost a fortune -- our loaded 2020 was 24.5k OTD, with under 15k miles on it. Base engine so it's not fast, but it's not as awful as some I've been in.

I put a 55 inch tv and a full sized spare wheel+tire in my gti

I don't know what that proves but I was happy it worked
GTI is a fantastic DD, it does a little of everything well. 52" toolbox in my mk4 wagon is my personal point of pride, though I also used to stuff an adult-sized bicycle in the hatch of my mk4 Golf.

clownish

just clowning around
I had a really specific list of needs: Good fuel economy (~30mpg), regular fuel, simple drivetrain (no CVT, no sideways engine), covered cargo space for unexpected rain, able to carry four AX tires/wheels and four adults, AWD because snow, not awful to work on. I was ultimately left with the CX-5 being the only thing that made sense and didn't cost a fortune -- our loaded 2020 was 24.5k OTD, with under 15k miles on it. Base engine so it's not fast, but it's not as awful as some I've been in.

GTI is a fantastic DD, it does a little of everything well. 52" toolbox in my mk4 wagon is my personal point of pride, though I also used to stuff an adult-sized bicycle in the hatch of my mk4 Golf.

did you ever look at mazda3s? my wife wants an awd turbo one but they feel so expensive ~40k for what youre getting.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
did you ever look at mazda3s? my wife wants an awd turbo one but they feel so expensive ~40k for what youre getting.
Oh what a dangerous question :LOL: We have a 2010 Mazda3 (NA 2.5/6MT hatch) and a 2018 Mazda3 (NA 2.5/6MT sedan). They're what inspired the CX-5 in the first place, because they've been easy to work on, reliable, and a ton of fun in an autocross environment (as they've shifted away from pure daily driver). So, I'm a big fan of the older ones. The newer ones seem to have swung much more towards a 'luxury' feel, and while I think they've done a nice job of implementing a nice feature set, I don't know that I'd spend 40k for one.

The 3rd gen IMO is the sweet spot. Nice interior, independent rear suspension, fun to drive. BUT no AWD for the 3.

e: Is there a reason in particular for an AWD Turbo? Golf R almost makes more sense because they're generally faster and a more 'fun' car, from what I hear. I have a coworker who went 2.5T AWD Mz3 to mk8 R and seems to really like the R.

Last edited:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion

Sedan, AWD, Turbo, Sorta luxury, Less than 40K?

CPO Arteon SEL? you already know your way around the EA888 and I'd wager it's got some of the same MQB/PQ suspension similarities as the Golfs do...