GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Boat Salesman In Florida Colluding With Chicago, Sauce Level Rises In Deep Dish Pizzas

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Earthquakes are 'shopped

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Haven't heard that one being a wi thing but I feel your pain. Dude at my work says "mathatoothetts" and it makes my whole body cringe every time I hear it
1712336637119.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
How do flat earth people explain eclipses?

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i noticed last year that its a total lucky anomaly that the size of the moon relative to the sun just happens to be perfect, by sheer luck. its doesn't need to be this way. Like, it could be a smaller moon, a closer moon, etc, we could be closer or further from the sun. the moon has continually shifted away from us over the last few billion years, so there haven't always been total eclipses. therefore, its just baffling how for this brief period of time that happens to be during sentient human existence the relative sizes are perfect, and this is underappreciated.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
i noticed last year that its a total lucky anomaly that the size of the moon relative to the sun just happens to be perfect, by sheer luck. its doesn't need to be this way. Like, it could be a smaller moon, a closer moon, etc, we could be closer or further from the sun. the moon has continually shifted away from us over the last few billion years, so there haven't always been total eclipses. therefore, its just baffling how for this brief period of time that happens to be during sentient human existence the relative sizes are perfect, and this is underappreciated.
Confirms we're living in a simulation.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Totally agreed! I saw the total eclipse in 2017 and I was SO glad I did. It's such a unique and incredible experience itself, plus all the interesting scientific things you can observe leading up to it. Highly recommended.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

I mean, yes and no. Kinda.

The moon is shifting away from the earth, at about 1" per year or so. So even if you go back, say, 2.5 billion years, the moon was only 40 miles closer to the earth. Which when you're talking about a celestial body almost 2,200 miles across, almost 240,000 miles away from earth, that 40 mile difference over 2.5 billion years wouldn't really be perceivable to the naked human eye.

So yeah. There still were total eclipses billions of years ago.

Now, size proportionate to the distance of each, making them appear similar sizes.... Yeah, that's an awe.