GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Defeated by Rear Caliper Brackets

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Well, this is the first time in 50+ years that I have been unable to do something pretty simple mechanically. I am trying to change the rear discs and pads. Got as far as the caliper brackets which require a 14mm spline - my set finished at 12mm. None in nearby Halfords but local garage 50m away lent me their impact spline. And I couldn't shift the bolts, even with a hammer type impact driver. Defeated, I put everything back together and returned the spline. The mechanic told me the bolts need a long bar. And of course, with just car up on stands, I couldn't get the clear leverage. I've since thought that perhaps I should put the jack under the end of the socket handle and jack the car up off the stands, hoping that 300kg or so on the handle would shift the bolts, but that is still only 90nm torque or so.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
They are tight but with a good long breaker bar you will succeed even on Jack stands as that is how I do mine. Just make sure the triple square socket is inserted all the way and I always fill the splines on it with grease when you have finished to stop corrosion for next time. I got a set of 3 US-Pro Triple square drives from Amazon, perfect for the job.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Thanks. It struck me that the rear pads have worn away far quicker than the front pads. I would have thought the other way round?? Or do I need to adjust something??