GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detailing for dummies: I'm the dummy-Wash mitts have entered the chat; possibly other things you stick your hands into!

red_jesus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Passat GT
Right...which you could use to get UV protection for sealed leather. Which was indicated no less than 4 ish posts up,

Do people not read a few posts up for current conversion(s) context? 🤷‍♂️
No need for that type of response when we are here to simply help. You do you homie

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Using regular ONR, would do nothing (for adding protection).

He was asking to clean and "most importantly for protection" for sealed type leather surfaces. Which regular ONR would not be "helpful" for all his criteria. No need to jump to be offended on the internet, potato salad.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I figure uv protection is important. However over the years ive seen some vw leather seats hold up great and some get destroyed. Since its such a ssaled leather idk what else to chaulk it up to other than too much heat/cold or lack of uv protection. All said i do leather tratments just to restore the feel and smell lol
20230625_111303.jpg

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Updated first post with new thread direction.

Todays topic: Random orbital or dual action polishers.

Are there other good options in the $100-$170 range?

Didn't see a specific recommendation that was made.

I have a max budget of $200 for a machine. Will still need to purchase whatever needed accessories such as backing plates, pads, etc.

It will be used for paint correction on my Golf R and then used a few times a year for light polishing and waxing of the vehicles in the household.

Is there an orbital polisher that will be versatile enough to fit my needs and budget? Any machines that use different size backing plates? I am guessing 5" for majority of the work and something smaller for exterior trim?

Adam's is having a 25% off sale; are any of their machines worth buying?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I have a max budget of $200 for a machine. Will still need to purchase whatever needed accessories such as backing plates, pads, etc.
https://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html#...4&sort_method=selling_price.filter/asc&page=1

The Griots are the only ones within your budget... but the one at $169 is only a 9mm throw machine, which is 1mm more than the old Porter Cable. If you don't mind taking triple the time to complete your car it could be an ok option.
https://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html

This one is a 15mm throw, which is the standard now for most 5" pad polishers. Adam's polishers are in the middle of the tiers, while Griots is on the lower tiers. My first "decent" machine was their 21mm swirl killer when they first came out, I still have it. I had to replace the trigger once, but I was using it every week to correct paint, so as a once in a while thing it should last a long time.
https://adamspolishes.com/collectio...products/adam-s-swirl-killer-15mm-lt-polisher

If you can save up a little, I would highly recommend the Rupes 15ES. This machine was $469 when it came out, it is sold now for $315 because the new generation is out. This is a work horse, and it will last until you can no longer detail your cars with minimal maintenance. I have a Zentool 15mm, and the only reason I bought it was because all of Rupes machines were in the high $400's at the time. Zentool are very good, but with the Rupes priced lower it is a no-brainer deal to get it instead.
https://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-15es-big-foot-polisher.html

It will be used for paint correction on my Golf R and then used a few times a year for light polishing and waxing of the vehicles in the household.
You don't need a polisher for waxing, and it actually lessen the bond of the wax by slightly heating it. Apply by hand.

Is there an orbital polisher that will be versatile enough to fit my needs and budget? Any machines that use different size backing plates? I am guessing 5" for majority of the work and something smaller for exterior trim?
As far as I know there is only one of two machines that can do this, and both are over $500. I can detail 90% of a car with a 5", a 3" will get the rest. I had a business so I also own a Rupes iBrid nano that I use only for trim.

The only time you will really need a 6" pad is when doing a large SUV or pickup truck, and even then I still use my 5" most of the time.

Adam's is having a 25% off sale; are any of their machines worth buying?
The one I posted above would be the one I would get it I was buying my first machine from them. The 6" is too large to polish cars.