GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discover pro

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It was discussed over on golfgtiforum.co.uk probably over a year ago, and the general consensus was the Pro version doesn’t offer much over the standard infotainment unit - certainly not enough to justify the price difference (currently £1,235) if you’re in the UK and paying UK prices.

I think that VW may have also deleted some of the features from the standard infotainment unit since the mk8 Golf was launched - such as voice control and gesture control - maybe to provide more differentiation between the standard and Pro systems to help justify the Pro’s price.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't opt for it as I don't believe gesture control and voice control are that useful (or maybe at all). The screen size is the same as for Discovery Media (both are bigger than the Composition though).

As I understand it used to be that you could only get the map on the Digital Cockpit if you had the Pro, but that is no longer the case (but you can't have them both active if you don't have the Pro - correct me if I am wrong).

Gesture control is likely a hardware difference while voice control can be purchased in the store afterwards as a software update (200€+).

Mind that there is a yearly fee to use online services and that with Pro you will likely save you some money for that as a longer subscription should be included in the price.

Bigger than the difference between Media and Pro is likely the difference in infotainment systems between 2022+ models and older models as VW started to use faster hardware and (reportedly) fixed most of the bugs with the system.

I think that VW may have also deleted some of the features from the standard infotainment unit since the mk8 Golf was launched - such as voice control and gesture control - maybe to provide more differentiation between the standard and Pro systems to help justify the Pro’s price.
I believe Pro was standard on Style for the early models ... It was also announced from the start it won't be forever.

j3bnl

I didn't opt for it as I don't believe gesture control and voice control are that useful (or maybe at all). The screen size is the same as for Discovery Media (both are bigger than the Composition though).

As I understand it used to be that you could only get the map on the Digital Cockpit if you had the Pro, but that is no longer the case (but you can't have them both active if you don't have the Pro - correct me if I am wrong).

Gesture control is likely a hardware difference while voice control can be purchased in the store afterwards as a software update (200€+).

Mind that there is a yearly fee to use online services and that with Pro you will likely save you some money for that as a longer subscription should be included in the price.

Bigger than the difference between Media and Pro is likely the difference in infotainment systems between 2022+ models and older models as VW started to use faster hardware and (reportedly) fixed most of the bugs with the system.

I believe Pro was standard on Style for the early models ... It was also announced from the start it won't be forever.
Our Golf R Line has the Discover Media and I was able to have maps on both screens at the same time using my OBDELEVEN along with the GTI and R dash displays.

Attachments

• 4856B8BE-D572-4473-B09E-72FB1D8E6635.jpeg
    4856B8BE-D572-4473-B09E-72FB1D8E6635.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 100
  • C83C5A6C-AA4F-4D21-93CE-C385EBAA1192.jpeg
    C83C5A6C-AA4F-4D21-93CE-C385EBAA1192.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 105
  • 0BA30844-171A-4743-A414-5C5036482640.jpeg
    0BA30844-171A-4743-A414-5C5036482640.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 96

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
The Discovery Pro apparently comes with the updated hardware and the Media does not. So one extra point for the Pro in 2022 I guess.