GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drive mode/Traction control button not functioning

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So I recently got around to installing my illuminated 12v lighter ring since my 17 did not come with one, I spliced into one of the wires for the gear selector that controls the light.

After putting it back together, I realized that my Drive Mode/Traction control selector does not work nor light up and the PRDL does not light either. However the 12v lighter does, so I'm guessing I must of blew a fuse somehow.

Does anyone know in the fuse diagram this one would be under or do I just need to start pulling and checking?

****Solved****
So it turns out the PRDL and the Mode/ECS button share the exact same connector, I had them switched around in case anyone has this issue in the future.

Last edited:

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Checked all the fuses behind the storage cubby, nothing was blown.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am not seeing the drive mode selection in the head unit. Was there ever a way to select the Normal/Sport and Custom function without the button?

ACE2

Ready to race!
Did you happen to find a a wiring diagram for that harness that connects to the buttons? I need to tap into the drive select mode wires but cannot find this info anywhere

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I literally had it plugged around backwards, PRDL was switched around with the Drive modes. So didn't dig any deeper than that.
What are you trying to do?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Checked all the fuses behind the storage cubby, nothing was blown.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am not seeing the drive mode selection in the head unit. Was there ever a way to select the Normal/Sport and Custom function without the button?
No there is not, the mode button provides a momentary ground input to the BCM, Plug C Pin 34.
- The traction control button is also on the switch module (left side of shifter, EX23) but is not shown on this drawing.
1712865506143.png

Did you happen to find a a wiring diagram for that harness that connects to the buttons? I need to tap into the drive select mode wires but cannot find this info anywhere
You can get all drawings (and other manuals) for your car from https://erwin.vw.com/ if you wanted.
- Subscribe for either a day (or a few days) and print everything to PDF.
- You can do it based your VIN (or any other VIN, especially good if retrofitting things your trim level doesn't have)

But also yes, what are you trying to do?

Last edited:

ACE2

Ready to race!
No there is not, the mode button provides a momentary ground input to the BCM, Plug C Pin 34.
- The traction control button is also on the switch module (left side of shifter, EX23) but is not shown on this drawing.
View attachment 303058

You can get all drawings (and other manuals) for your car from https://erwin.vw.com/ if you wanted.
- Subscribe for either a day (or a few days) and print everything to PDF.
- You can do it based your VIN (or any other VIN, especially good if retrofitting things your trim level doesn't have)

But also yes, what are you trying to do?
Sorry havnt logged in on here for awhile, but I got some free r8 style buttons for my steering wheel and figured I’d try to mount them. It’s just the start/stop and drive mode selection. I got it all wired but the trasmitter part under shifter trim. There’s no write ups or any install videos that go with this platform unfortunately

ACE2

Ready to race!
I literally had it plugged around backwards, PRDL was switched around with the Drive modes. So didn't dig any deeper than that.
What are you trying to do?
Sorry buddy just replied on other post here, but havnt logged on in a bit here so didn’t see the response to my question until now