GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

e-Hybrid predicted range

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, I wonder if anyone can illuminate me as to why I get a predicted range of between 30 and 40 miles when the car has been 100% charged. The predicted range is usually about right but why such a disparity in the prediction? My car is a Golf 8 e-Hybrid bought new last October (2021). Lovely car by the way!

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
The prediction is likely based on your average (e-) consumption. That's just a guess, though.

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Ed. I got a prdiction of 32 one day and 40 the next. (I have only had one 40 so far). I wondered if it was being clever knowing the temperature.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
If I give my GTE the beans in electric mode the next time I drive it, after fully charging it, the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) shows 26 miles. If I drive like a old woman it shows 34 miles (perhaps more). Other factors influencing range includes temperature and topography.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks Ed. I got a prdiction of 32 one day and 40 the next. (I have only had one 40 so far). I wondered if it was being clever knowing the temperature.

Since weather does impact the range (both through increased consumption for heating etc and chemistry), if it's based on your average consumption, then technically it does. I understand that's not quite what you mean, though that's not entirely out of the question either. The car obviously does have a thermometer (it shows outside temps in the dashboard) - it's not that big a leap to have the GOM take temperature into account and reduce range shown by some % for particular temperatures.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
I've run an ehybrid for 8 months and 8000 miles. I'm sure the estimated range takes account of temperature, but I don't pay any attention to it now, I just leave the display an % charge. There are too many variables with predicted range.

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you all for the answers. I guess there are all sorts of things the software can use to refine the guess. All very interesting. I was a software engineer and I would have loved to be involved in developing these sorts of algorithms.