GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Evo Question...

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
Well i was thinking about it the other day, and my question is, if Evo's and STI's are cars basically meant for street racing and performance, they must be pretty well tuned and equipped from the factory, unlike our gti...so what performance mods can you do to them to see noticeable gains? I was surfing their site and people were asking what intake to get and the responses would be that they already have the best one in their car...so what do they do to mod their cars???

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
hhoollyyy sshhii...why doesnt it come from the factory like that then if they make it to be a performance car?

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
damn...if I only had 15k more I woulda gotten an evo... :(

E46

Fuel pump, boost controller, 3 inch back, cams and ecu reflash... you'll be doing some damage in an evo.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Fuel pump, boost controller, 3 inch back, cams and ecu reflash... you'll be doing some damage in an evo.

x2...My boy has those mods(evo IX MR) and ported/polished engine parts(alot of different ones) 02 housing upgraded, intake, QTP exhuast cutout, upgraded FMIC, all piping changed to the intercooler, all coolant hoses changed, meth kit, head studs on top of those previous mentioned mods and I have never been in a quicker car than that...It really makes you piss your pants.
But then again the car ran him $36k just for the car with no taxes and all of those other charges.

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
mmmm...pant piss...

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
You're basic bolt ons are pretty standard compared to most other turbo applications.

- Intake
- Down Pipe (3")
- Test Pipe (3")
- Cat-Back (3", 80mm is popular too)
- Boost Controller
- Upgraded DV
- Fuel Pump
- Intercooler

.... and finally a good custom dyno or road tune. (more specific than a generic "flash" or "chip").

There is plenty more that can be done, but those are enough to get most people started and still cheap enough while showing a huge improvement over stock.

Comparatively though, the same mods on an STI wouldn't ever result in as much of an increase in power output. While nice, the STI's just don't take to mods as well as Evo's, and parts for the STI are far more expensive as well.

The mod list from my Evo consisted of pretty much every possible bolt-on for the stock turbo, minus 2 pieces I never got around to doing; a tubular manifold and ported O2 housing (upper exhaust piece prior to down pipe).

Engine/Drivetrain:
- Custom Road Tune (93 octane specific)
- 272Intake/264Exhaust Cams (stock lift)
- Forge Motorsport Unos Manual Boost Controller (Black) - 22 PSI
- Forge Motorsport EVO15 Recirc. Diverter Valve (Polished)
- Forge Motorsport Piston-based Wastegate Actuator - 19-24 PSI Spring (Polished)
- Forge Motorsport Evo 7/8/9 Alloy Radiator w/ Ralliart 1.3 BAR Radiator Cap
- Forge Motorsport "prototype" one-off Custom Intercooler
- Forge Motorsport Radiator Hoses
- Forge Motorsport Intercooler Hoses
- Forge Motorsport Alloy Coolant Tank
- Forge Motorsport Alloy Power Steering Tank
- AMS Lower Intercooler Pipe
- Walbro 255 lph High Pressure Fuel Pump
- Samco Sport Silicone Turbo Intake Hose
- Blitz SUS Power Intake Kit
- NGK BPR7ES Spark Plugs
- Invidia Down Pipe - Custom Heat Wrapped
- Invidia Test Pipe - Custom Heat Wrapped
- Espelir JGT-500 Cat-Back Exhaust (80mm)
- Buschur Racing Short Shifter
- Buschur Racing Under Hood Shifter Bushings
- Brass Shifter Base Bushings
- Powerflex Complete Motor Mount Bushing Set
- Removed Clutch Restrictor
- Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
- Revised Vacuum System

Not to brag, but that was just the engine. :wink:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11418

I don't have any dynos handy, but other Evo's with comparable mods and tuning were approaching 380whp and 380+ wtq.

Evo 9's with the slightly different turbo and MIVEC intake cam are a little more capable (just over 400whp/wtq) with the same modifications.

Beyond that level, you're basically looking at upgrading from the stock 16G turbo.

Both the Evo 8 and Evo 9 use "16G" turbos, and though there were slight differences between them, like a slightly larger compressor cover and a lighter wheel assembly (center cartridge) on the 9 turbo, they were otherwise the same, and the other main factor to the increased power output capacity of the Evo 9 was the MIVEC on the intake cam (variable cam phasing, NOT lift).

'03 and '04 Evo 8's had a 9.8 cubic cm exhaust housing whereas the '05 Evo 8's had a larger 10.5 cubic cm exhaust housing which offered more exhaust flow. The rest of the turbo otherwise was the same, so a common upgrade on '03's and '04's was to a 10.5 hotside from an '05.

Once the Evo 9 was released, the popular upgrade became using a 9 turbo on an 8, which offered some better spool characteristics, higher peak boost, and a larger overall boost curve, with proper tuning of course. You'd never quite get as much as a 9 with the MIVEC intake cam, but the turbo alone got you about half of the difference.

Beyond that, using OEM components, you get into 20G turbos and changing between 5 and 6 blade wheels, but those types of things are far less common than some forums would lead you to believe.

After that, you're looking at Garrett GT series turbo upgrades, the most popular being the 35R.

On either an 8 or a 9, using any turbo other than that which was stock will require larger injectors, but the stock injectors (though different between an 8 and a 9) are usually suitable for virtually any stock turbo application.

CalBoyTex

Banned
wow... mike is back.. and with a nicelydone post... how long did that take to type?

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
oh my god....its so great...

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
My plans are basically almost like the GTI except I won't be doing the intake anytime soon. A stage 2 STI with TBE and reflash will usually result in noticeable gains. The 07s have been showing some promising gains with dyno tuning. It's funny not a lot of people STI owners even bother with stage 1.

For the reflash, there are 2 open source programs called enginuity and ecuflash that will allow you to flash the ecu and make your own custom maps. It's kinda like revos SPS but with much much more versatility. But to do that you'd need a bunch of gauges to make sure your engine doesn't blow up: wideband AFR/EGT/Boost at a minimum. This is the route that I'm choosing. This type of thing can't be taken lightly though. I plan to do a lot of reading before I make any changes to the maps.

I'm probably stopping at stage 2 until much later. Other people however do a lot more like port and polish or replace unequal length with equal length header, heat wrap/ceramic coating, bigger TMIC or go with FMIC, intake, TGV deletes, turbo inlet pipe, spark plugs and of course turbo upgrade with supporting mods(fuel pump and injectors).

I have no plans to mod the suspension anytime soon although I could do without the 4 finger gap.

It's actually been cheaper to mod the STI than the GTI (for me anyway). I got a catted TBE for around $800 compared to almost $1000 for the GTI. The reflash cable is $80, the software is free and the gauges were $600. All labor has been done by me so far.

So yeah, you can never have too much performance. It's like an addiction. No matter how fast your car is, you'll always want it faster.

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
wtf 80 bux for a reflash!!!