GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extended Warranty

ah184

Passed Driver's Ed
So the warranty runs out at the end of the month and they’ve given me the option of 1 rear extended. Has anyone done this and is it any good?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Which warranty product did your dealer offer you? - The All-In product or VW’s extended warranty?

I’ve just bought a year’s VW extended warranty for my Polo GTI+. With the high tech nature of modern cars, and the potential high cost of things that might go wrong or fail, I didn’t fancy running my car without a warranty. I didn’t buy VW’s ‘All-In’ product (2 yrs warranty, 2 yrs, servicing, 2 yrs MOT’s and 2 yrs Roadside breakdown cover) as my existing service plan doesn’t expire until next year, at which time I’ll consider the All-In product.

In answer to question ‘is it (i.e. the warranty) any good?’; if I owned a mk8 Golf, my main concern would be software related issues out of warranty. I don’t know if mk8 Golf owners will be expected to foot the bill for fixing any ongoing software-related issues and software updates once the original 3 year factory warranty expires - if they will be expected to, then I’d be reading the small print thoroughly in any extended warranty I was considering buying to see what cover - if any - would be provided in relation to software-related issues and updates.

If the product you’d be buying is VW‘s standard extended warranty product, you have the option choosing the level of cover (All Component or Named Component cover) and the excess level (you can choose £0, £100 or £250). The level of cover and excess chosen will determine the cost. Link to the warranty booklet below;

https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co...tended_warranty_cover_booklet_nav_0122_v2.pdf

Link to the All-In Product;
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-services/servicing-and-parts/service-plans/all-in.html

And the All-In warranty terms and conditions are at the link below;
https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/content...wagen-allin-warranty-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Bear in mind that pretty much all of these extended warranty products are insurance-based, so there’ll be exclusions and conditions and possibly monetary claim limits, hence why reading the warranty booklet carefully before buying is important IMHO to ensure the scope of cover provided meets your needs.

ah184

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. They’ve offered me VW extended - All Component or Named Component cover so like you I’ll probably go for it since all the expensive electrical components are covered e.g. control units, infotainment display etc. as well as engine parts and labour.

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Am I correct in thinking that I have to pay for the service and MOT when my Golf is three years old before I can purchase the All-in plan. I guess the dealer at that point will access the vehicle to see if can be covered for the next two years depending on it’s condition?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Am I correct in thinking that I have to pay for the service and MOT when my Golf is three years old before I can purchase the All-in plan. I guess the dealer at that point will access the vehicle to see if can be covered for the next two years depending on its condition?
Based on discussions on other forums, the All-In plan can‘t be purchased until the car is 3 years old, so I dare say any scheduled work that’s due before the car‘s three year factory warranty expires needs to have been carried out for the car to be eligible for the All-In product.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Here in Ireland I was told that I need to wait until the last month of the warranty and at that time they will need the car for inspection. I can decide to take 1,2 or 3 year extended warranty.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
‘All-in‘ is a bit miss leading. Things like brake fluid change, air conditioning and cambelt replacement are not included. Despite this it appears to be good value and I plan to take it out when my car is 3 years old next month.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
‘All-in‘ is a bit miss leading. Things like brake fluid change, air conditioning and cambelt replacement are not included. Despite this it appears to be good value and I plan to take it out when my car is 3 years old next month.
The service element of the ‘All-In’ product just covers the basic oil and oil filter change plus inspection - no different to what you get when you buy a VW service plan.

Including items such as brake fluid change, air con service and cam belt changes which would make the cost of both the All-In product or a service plan quite expensive which I dare say is one of the reasons why VW don’t include those items. Also, something such as a cam belt might not be due to be changed on some owners’ cars during the two year period covered by either the All-In product or a basic service plan, and some cars have a timing chain rather than a cam belt. Therefore, including the cost of such items would make the product poor value for some owners.

When I owned my mk6 Golf, VW’s service plan was a three year plan and it did include the first brake fluid change. However, it was later changed to a two year plan and the brake fluid change was removed - presumably reducing the scope and duration of the service plan meant that VW could continue offer a competitively priced product.