GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fault: Vehicle Lighting and Electric Parking Brake Plus Low Voltage on OBD Pin 16

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
I've just done an oil change, removed undertray, drained oil and changed filter. Replaced tray. Exactly as I've done in the past. Did touch anything else except a few leaves that got in by driver side fog light wiring plus had to slightly re align wheel arch felt trim at passenger rear side.
Starting engine to roll off ramps and 2 yellow fault warnings appeared - Vehicle Lighting and EPB. With ignition on, headlights are now on dip beam and main lighting switch doesn't now do anything. The EPB seems to be fine and I can hear the motors whirring as I apply and release the EPB.
Then I connected the solar panel to the OBD socket, as I've done for a few years. The MPPT controller output voltage dropped from 14.4v to 4.0v. After a few minutes with car locked, the output voltage returned to 14.4v.
With car unlocked again, the OBD pin 16 is only a couple of hundred millivolts.
I can only think I've knocked some wiring removing leaves and aligning arch lining?? Otherwise, all very odd.
Perhaps car is hacked off as I'm thinking of going EV!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It could just be the battery on its way out..I thing it needs a charge...ignition off it should be 12.6V across the battery...13.5V to 14.5V engine running...

VCDS or OBD11 scan would also help...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Thanks. I've tried to connect VCDS but as pin 16 only has a few milivolts, it doesn't work with a "not plugged into car" message after running VCDS test. I've checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes and all are OK. Volts have been fine - 12.5 left in garage and 14.8 with engine running.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks. I've tried to connect VCDS but as pin 16 only has a few milivolts, it doesn't work with a "not plugged into car" message after running VCDS test. I've checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes and all are OK. Volts have been fine - 12.5 left in garage and 14.8 with engine running.

If VCDS won't work the battery is too low..it needs to be above 12.6V....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Anything ABS & EPB & especially Xenons not working is low battery...as they are all high power demands...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Duff fuse 8. But beeped when I used the probes on the fuse top contacts. Now have a look with VCDS.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Sorted. Having cleared the DTCs, just one remains:

VIN: WVWZZZAUZGW089940 License Plate: 202312221855
Mileage: 70285km-43673mi Repair Order:

Address 5F: Information Electr. Labels: 5G0-035-MIB-STD2.clb
Control Module Part Number: 3Q0 035 842 A HW: 3Q0 035 842 A
Component and/or Version: MU-S-D-ER 620 0627
Software Coding: 02730000FF00000051111101008808001F0100D60120010003
Work Shop Code: WSC 01357 011 00200
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CDELP 001001 (VW37)
ROD: EV_MUStd4CDELP_VW26.rod
VCID: 2B555C8242E17AC946-807E
1 Fault Found:

1555 - Check Software Version Management
B201A 00 [00001001] - -
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 62
Mileage: 70285 km
Date: 2023.12.22
Time: 08:30:44

Voltage terminal 30: 12.2 V
Status_Software_Version_Management-module_name: C

I don't know the significance of the red sentence??

The only other item that caught me out was saving the log file as the second post clearing DTC had the same name as the first and no over write warning.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
It is a USB HEX-CAN.
And usefully the Owner's Manual doesn't even identify Fuse 8, only 5 as a diagnostic connector.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It is a USB HEX-CAN.
And usefully the Owner's Manual doesn't even identify Fuse 8, only 5 as a diagnostic connector.

The older dongles can have problems with the increased number of electronic modules on the everything built from 2012yr onwards.....I swapped my old HEX-CAN after one year of having my then new MK7 Golf...& bought the HEX-V2...much faster chipset in the dongle & copes with the MQB platform electronics better...