GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 8 Phev Recall 93N4

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Left my Golf 8 eHybrid at the workshop this morning to check for updates and was told work for the recall campaign 93N4 is to be done.
Here is the information about the recall and it only spplies to PHEV (Plugin) models:

“During a limited production period the fuse in the high-voltage system of plug-in hybrid vehicles was, in some cases, produced with too little so-called fire sand. In the event of a possible short circuit in the high-voltage system the fuse triggers and interrupts the current flow as intended, but it could potentially burst when it does so. As a result of this there is a possibility of arcing occurring in the vehicle interior. This creates a danger of fire and a possible risk of injury for the vehicle occupants.

Remedy
On the affected vehicles an additional protective insulating mat is fitted to the switching unit for high-voltage battery.”

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Presumably this recall includes the GTE? As we speak my GTE is with my VW dealer having the deactivated ACC sorted. This would be an ideal time to do this recall. Bet they won’t.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I asked on monday if there was this recall and was told there was not. Today wall told it just appeared on the system this morning. The recall is for Gte and eHybrid.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I gather this recall on Golf PHEVs only affects a ‘limited production period’. I guess I will be notified if mine is included.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Collected my GTE after having the Deactivated ACC sorted - NOT! Still doesn’t work despite installing 1896.

They also fitted a new Battery Monitoring Unit and a new Battery Earth Cable. Do you think this might be ‘code‘ for the 93N4 recall.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
The battery monitoring unit is part of the 1896 update. The high voltage battery recall is a 6 hour job done by a HV (High Voltage) technician.
Just check here with your vin number to see if you have the recall and if it was completed:
https://www.volkswagen.com.au/app/locals/owners-service/service-campaigns-recalls 2B77A217-0088-44CE-A822-84B338E6F249.jpeg

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for that Massimo. Entered my vin number and it showed that my car has/had no recalls … yet 🙄.

The only thing that appears not to be working currently is Travel Assist. Not exactly essential but it’s rather good fun taking one’s hands off the steering wheel and letting the car drive itself (albeit only for a short while). Besides, I bought the car with this feature so I expect it to work.

I don’t know about you but I love my PHEV. Goes like the clappers, even in EV mode, and is obscenely economical 👍.