GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI or the Mazda3 5dr

gtiTom

The Average Asian
I managed to receive my GTI about a month ago and I absolutely love her.
It's about time for my friend Will to get a new car and he's been looking at a Mazda3 Hatchback with manual trans Grand touring model. I let him test drive my car yesterday to see what his thoughts were incase he switches his mind to buy a GTI. Apparanty, he loves the GTI's accessories on the interior but he didn't favour the exterior body works.

He said to me about how he loves the Mz3 styling and handling... and asked me if I could help him compare.

Now,
Im asking you guys... What do you think? Mazda3speed Grand touring or GTI with pkg 0 and manual. For an extra $3k, he can get the GTI specified... the Grandtouring mazda is roughly 20$ with MSRP included.

If it's okay, can I get specifics about the mazda3 compared to the GTI? I'm not sure how to approach this... Thanks a lot guys.

alf

Modwhoreator
mazda3's are slow. you will slowly regret your decision, i have my reasons. theres a guy on here that has a mazda3 and its about fully modded minus the turbo kit, he's probably gonna hop on the VW community.

the fast is the the GTI is a drivers car, its meant to be tossed around and itll just beg for more. the mazda3 is more well, kind of a bore.

alf

gtiTom

The Average Asian
I see... yes i have read about that thread on that guy with the Maz3.. It's a shame though, it looks like a beauty.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Im looking more towards specifications... Now im not a engine expert but how does a 2.3L 160HP compare to a 2.0T with 200Hp.... does the extra liters give it an advantage?

alf

Modwhoreator
2.0T is a very tunable engine, it is equipped with a turbo, which gives it far more capabilities than the mazda3.

The Mazda3 is a 2.3L N/A (Non-Aspirated) which means its just all-motor, without the help of a turbo or a supercharger, meaning it would take more mods = money to make it go, or actually get some umph out of it.

more displacement doesnt necessarily mean more HP or TQ, its just a huge engine in a small car. but when u have something like a turbo helping you out, the whole "theres no replacement for displacement" is thrown in the garbage.

the mazda3 has a VERY hard time reaching 200HP at the wheels after buying lets say exhaust, header, intake, piggy back, blah blah, it will still be sub-200.

the GTI when equipped with JUST a reflash program reaches about 220HP to the wheel on just a $400 reflash program. the reflash program gives the ECU new settings on fuel, timing, and boost. and more boost = more happy, but not without the timing of course.

sorry for the rambiling, i hope you get what im saying.

alf

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Your best bet for a legit comparo would probably be to go to one of the auto sites that do a side by side comparo for you. SOmetimes the auto mfg website will also do these. I test drove a Mazda3 before I bought my 05 Civic Si and there was absolutely no pull to that engine.
Having said that, if he can wait a few months I know that Mazda is coming out with what was targeted to be a "GTI beater". It comes with 18"wheels, 250hp turbo engine, limslipdiff, and I believe a TB exhaust. They say they have stiffened the suspension even more. It was stiff to begin with. Check it out. Do a search and you will see this beast. It may even be on Mazdas' website. The things looks nice and is suppose to be a screamer. But as for as the one he's looking at goes: I woulodn't waste my time comparing them. GTI hands down.
Edit: Oops. I meant to say that the new one is called a Mazdaspeed 3. They're saying 270+hp and 280+torque.

Attachments

• 2252006185454.jpg
    2252006185454.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Thanks kirk and alf.

The new mazda3speed does look nice and seem nice. However my buddy has a budget of 26$ ... does the new mazda3speed fall anywhere under that? If it is not known yet, don't worry about it. Appreciate the tips