GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat Issues -- Need Advice

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
So just when I thought I got all the kinks worked out and everything running smoothly, BAM!

Heres what I got

AMD 64x2 6000+
4 x 1GB DDR2 800 Crucial Balistix RAM
ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard
XFX nVidia 8800GTX 768mb
Samsun SpinPoint T Series 7200RPM 3Gb/s 500GB SATA Hard drive
Philips DVD+RW / CD+RW

Anyway, so I'm having some heat issues with my CPU. My MoBo will sit right around a relatively cool 40-45C. The CPU is another story. Within minutes of getting into World of Warcraft, or BF2142 the heat goes up well over 65C, and even over 70C at times. Even running at 800x600 pixels with all anti-aliasing turned off, and most other graphical settings turned to medium, I still se rising CPU temps. The CPU came pre-coated with heat transfer goo, and the heatsink and CPU fan are sitting snuggly on top of it. I currently have a 120mm exhaust case fan and and an 80mm fan for itnake on the front. Theres also a third fan that is attached to the heatsinks on the motherboard to cool them as well. I don't think airflow is the problem, because neither the motherboard or even the 8800GTX are getting anywhere near as hot at the CPU. This is realy the first computer I've built from the groud up, so if anyone out there with a bit more experience can give me some pointers here, it would be a great help.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
Keep it up and I'll put a copyright clasue in my sigline, then sue you for quoting me!

But seriously, I wanna keep this thread on topic, for once.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
I never cared too much for a "pre-coating" of heat sink goo..

Is the cpu heat sink getting hot to the touch? If the goo is working properly the heat sink should be real close to the cpu temp. If it's not then you need to clean off the old goo and get some good stuff.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
They sell Arctic Silver 5 at a store near here. Is it as good as everyone says it is?

davesee

FIA GT Champion
Zalman makes some great cpu sinks.. just remember that you can spend a whole lot of money on one, but it won't do much good unless you're using a good thermal compound.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
Well, I can't realy justify spending another 60 bucks on a cooler right now with so much Christmas shopping left to do. I think I'll grab me a tube of arctic silver and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll just have to wait a bit before I can upgrade the cooler.

CalBoyTex

Banned
Well, I can't realy justify spending another 60 bucks on a cooler right now with so much Christmas shopping left to do. I think I'll grab me a tube of arctic silver and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll just have to wait a bit before I can upgrade the cooler.

your in luck, well kinda... The Zalman, i posted above.. I have 2. the problem is finding it. when i moved cali to flroida, i put it in all my computer shit, but i looked for it a month ago and didnt find it. Ifi find it, Ill ship it to ya.. Merry fuckin Christmas!

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
Dude, that would be fuckin sweet!

And I was just goin through my BIOS to see if there were an options as to the fan speed and whatnot, and just sitting in the BIOS alone it was saying my CPU temp was around 57C. From what I can see (the AMD website is kinda hard to navigate) the max operating temp on the Athlon 64 dual core is only around 65C.

gtiTom

The Average Asian
you know, when i build my computer 2 yrs ago, i notice the CPU had some thermal heat compound on it already and didn't think much of it. Well, i was wrong.

Go back and re-apply the compound and see how that goes.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
Thats what I'm going to try this weekend with the Arctic Silver. I didn't get any compund with my CPU, it was just pre-applied, so I'll have to get out to the store and buy some of my own.